Saving Pictures To Hard Drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Saving Pictures To Hard Drive

Hi I just got my G5 last week and I'm new to FCP.
I have a bunch of pictures that I want to save to my hard drive as Jpegs so I can edit them in FCP. Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Mike Delli Santi
Mike DelliSanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Digital camera pics? iPhoto. Or using your flash media reader, just drag the pics from the card into a new folder, then import the folder into FCP.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Shane. What I meant was I have physical pictures that you can touch and feel on paper. The way I used to do it on Canopus was to open the log & capture window and save each one as a still image to the appropriate folder. I guess I'll have to hook up a digital still camera, take a snapshot , then import into iPhoto, then import into FCP ?

Thanks.
Mike Delli Santi
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Or buy a scanner. The scanner would be your best bet.

How would you do this with the canopus? How would the Canopus see your physical picture?
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #5
Wrangler

I think he might mean that he used a video camera to shoot the paper photos, then captured still frames from that. You could do the same thing with your DV camera using a firewire hookup. Of course the resolution will be limited to 720x480, but depending on what you're doing this might be fine.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

That's right Boyd. I had a video camera on a copy stand connected to the pc via firewire and captured them one by one as a still image onto the hard drive. I guess you can't do that with FCP which is fine I'll do what Shane suggested and just replace the video camera with a digital still camera or a scanner.

Thanks for the swift reply guys.
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Wrangler

Well I don't think you can directly capture a still image in FCP (actually I've never tried), but you could capture very short clips from your camera, like a second or so. Then after capturing you can go to File > Export > Quicktime > Still Image and save in any file format you like. Or you could just drop the clips into your timeline and turn them into freeze frames of any desired duration.

Another option would be to do the capture from your video camera via firewire using BTV Pro. This is an inexpensive shareware program that does a lot of useful things, including still captures, hard drive recording, time lapse and it can serve as a video monitor.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd. I'll check those options out.
Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I can help you out someday.
Mike DelliSanti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite