DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying FCP on EBay

Seems like there are lots of academic versions of FCP for sale on Ebay, may listed as unregistered. This may have already come up, but what is the down side of buying an academic version this way? Seems too good to be true.

Any horror stories out there?

"I'd do it for free but I don't!"
John Paulsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM   #2
New Boot

As a student, I purchased an academic version to learn the program. Coming out of school, I contacted Apple to see if I could upgrade to the commercial version and they said that there was no upgrade path. You have to buy a full retail version to upgrade to any future retail versions.

I was able to purchase an unregistered, retail version of FCP 2 from someone that had an extra copy for around $100. I've heard that you can purchase legitimate retail versions for as little as $150 from some software companies or maybe find it on ebay. It will ultimately save you a few hundred bucks in the end.

Although I haven't run into this, I've been told that companies may ask if you own retail versions of tools one uses to create a film or content, to make sure that any issues with proper clearance are resolved. Maybe someone can comment on this...
Ramon Georges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Wrangler

See the discussion in the following thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=39221
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite