DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 27th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Voice Overs

I finished editing my movie in FCPHD, and now I need to do some voice overs for it. How do I get my computer to recognize my microphone? All I have right now is a cheap computer microphone that came with my old computer. I plugged it in, and chose the voice over option in the effects menu and it doesn't work. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks.
Greg Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Major Player

I too would like to know how without buying protools.
12 track mixer and 4.5
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You can plug a good mic into your mixer and record it live right from the mixer.
That's basicly what I do although the mic is in a sound booth in a different room.
Grinner Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

ProTools is not needed. The VoiceOver tool in FCP works fine. The model Macintosh you are using would be helpful.

Audio input can be microphone level or line level. Unfornately, cheap microphones use the same plug as is standard for line level (1/8 mini). So how's the computer to know?

As for your specific problem with a cheap mic, I assume you have gone into the sound control panel and made sure input volume is set etc.

Bottom line is that you are best off getting a small A/V mixer from radio shack that will accept your cheap mic input and convert it to line level. Macintosh audio inputs expect a long plug for microphone input that lets the sound card put power on the line for the mic to use for higher audio quality. It's a great idea that never took off.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Thats getting more helpful.
I have a sennhieser m421, (xlr output)
A beuatiful mic.
I have pluged it into my mackie 12 track but I dont see it in FPC4.5
How exazctly do I go about seeing it?
Kona sd also card, if thats helps.
Thanks
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:09 AM   #6
Major Player

got it, got it, got it.
many thanks
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM   #7
New Boot

voice overs

You probably need to get yourself an imic from griffen technologies. It hooks up through usb and has 2 1/8" jacks for in and out. You can choose between mic and line levels aswell. It cost me 60 bucks and with a sennheiser(with an xlr to 1/8" adapter) it made doing a huge voice over job a piece of cake right in fcp. Basically newer macs require an adapter to record voice overs in fcp.
Rob Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:16 PM   #8
New Boot

If you want to play around with v.o.'s and don't have equipment you can can plug your camcorder in with firewire. Set the camera to record mode and then choose dv audio as your source in the voice over window. Now you can record voice overs with the camera in fcp. It may be possible to have a good mic connected to the camcorder and use that instead of the camera mic, but I've never tried.
Rob Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

This is simple

In the voice over tool, you can choose your input. There are two choices: Internal microphone (on the mac) or line in. NOT MIC IN!!
You can not use a microphone connected to your mac, because that would be a mic level signal. You need to hook up your microphone to a mixer, and send it as a line level to your mac.
Tim Commeijne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #10
DVCreators.Net

I just picked up a 10-channel Edirol M-100FX USB mixer. Works great with FCP's voice over tool, plus has voice effects built-in like "narration enhancer" http://edirol.com/products/info/m100fx.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite