DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Using 4:3 material in a 16:9 project?

Ok, I seem to be missing something here. I am an idiot, so it's not that surprising.

I've got a 16:9 project that I'm working on. I have some 4:3 old material that I want to use in the project a bit. When I import the footage and put it on the timeline (FCP) it's pillarboxed. Ok, this is to be expected.

However, I would have assume that the scale of the 4:3 image would have been less than 100%. The 16:9 frame is still 720 across, right? As is the 4:3 image. So shouldn't the 4:3 image fill the 16:9 frame when at 100% and have the top and bottom cut off?

I know I'm just missing something stupid here and it's probably got to do with the 16:9 frame being an anamorphic 720x480 but I just can't seem to get my head around it.

I guess the bottom line question is: is it possible to have a 4:3 clip fill the 16:9 frame without losing resolution?

Thanks!
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

As it so happens I just posted a technique for dealing with 4:3 material in anamorphic 16:9 sequences. See the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=40425
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite