Transfer FCP Project File From Old to New Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 9th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Transfer FCP Project File From Old to New Mac

I'm trying to pull all my FCP HD projects from my dual G5 to my new 17" powerbook so I can edit while I'm at work and I thought it would be as easy as copying the project files to my powerbook hard drive and then carrying my external capture drive with me. This does not seem to be the case as the project files I've transferred aren't even showing as valid file types in OSX and when I try to open with FCP I get "File Error: Wrong Type". I did a quick google search and came up with this:

http://www.itg.uiuc.edu/help/finalcutpro/transfer.htm

but is there an easier way? Can't I just archive the individual project files with Stuffit? Or do I have to go through FCP as this page states for each one, in which I have about 4 full projects I'd like to edit.

Thanks,
Mike

http://www.coalmarch.com
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Major Player

The link you have is about transferring files between NFS based file systems and Macs. You shouldn't have issues with Wrong Type if you are copying directly from on Mac to another. How did you copy the files over? You will have issues, I believe, with your project files becoming unlinked because your project is looking for your G5 HD... so you would have to re-link all of your files.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Or, to make it happen without the external drive...

On your desktop open the project file, then use media manager to make a copy of your project and set it to Offline Quality. You'll have to make sure to recompress the media files, but the resulting project is much smaller. In the future, if you want to transfer back and forth you willnot need to include the media files, just relink your media as necessary.

True the quality is not DV, but on a 17" Screen it works just fine. I use this setup to do all of my rough cutting (at the beach) and then bring it back to my G5 for the heavy lifting. Plus its just nice not to have to bring a long an external drive where ever I go.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm not sure why, but last night I xfer'd over my wireless network from Mac to Mac and the PB did not recognize the file type of the project files. Today I was backing up my Virtual PC image by using Firewire target disk mode and decided I'd grab the project files and guess what, the PB recognized the file types this time. Kind of strange, but issue is closed. Thanks for the tips on cutting down quality etc.

--Mike

http://www.coalmarch.com
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite