DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 11th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1
New Boot

Auto Segment Help?

When last I posted here, it was regarding problems with an aging Canon GL1. My boss decided to go out and get a new GL2. :-) Anyway, he took it directly from the store to a shoot in Ontario, and began shooting footage for my current project.
My normal workflow for the type of project this is is to capture the footage using iMovie using auto scene detect, which gives me a discrete clip for each segment, then importing the clips into FCX.
I never really thought about the mechanism by which this works, I simply assumed that the camera must record a signal with each trigger pull. Wrong! It turns out that it works by checking the time of day that the clip was recorded and considers any break in that timeline as a new clip. Works great, except that it only works after the time has been first set in the camera. My boss, not knowing this, shot the entire project with no time reference. So, when I go to capture it, the only breaks in it are the maximum clip lengths. So, now the only thing I can think of to get my discrete clips is to capture one clip at a time, based on viewing the tape and setting in and out points.... kinda negating the whole point of NLE.
Any bright ideas anyone?
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #2
New Boot

OK so i think I found myself a bit of a solution. I'm making subclips and naming them as I go.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite