Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 31st, 2005, 12:04 AM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Craig,

Thanks... I'm glad you like it!

The problem I kept running into was that during fadeouts of the clips, I would see overlaps of clips showing through. That was because I had sized and positioned the clips differently each time to maximize the viewing area for each one. So, I was thinking I was going to have to sacrifice composition and positioning to make the clips line up perfectly edge to edge and avoid overlap.

But then it dawned on me... forget fading the clips in and out, just leave them at 100% and position them any way I wanted, just making sure to layer them vertically so that their overlapping would crop each other, and then layer above all of that some "shutters" to do all the work.

I made a 5x5 pixel crosshair that sat permanently at 100% on the uppermost track, then below that were four tracks, each with a solid black shutter the size of one quadrant (making sure to "underlap" the crosshair to prevent any bleed through). Then, I just faded the shutters in and out.

I definitely took the long road figuring it out...but the final method was really easy and fast to do.

P.S. Nice demos on your site, Craig!
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

John,

I guess something was wrong on your end... =) I went back today and finally saw the video. Superb, John, superb! It's a great format for company video profiles... mind if I steal the idea?

I dig the site too! Holla atcho boyeeeee!

David
David Chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:05 AM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Accolades from one of Jackie Chan's 10 Tigers!! I can now die a happy man. ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite