DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   iMovie questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/4257-imovie-questions.html)

John C. Chu March 24th, 2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Luke
great question - here's the deal - I store video on an external Lacie 250GB HD. the software is on the machine. I have a little Fire Wire port on installed on the machine.

Here's a wild guess:

The firewire bus is pretty fast, [and you have installed another firewire card? and firewire hub?]---but it can be *tricky*, especially if you have a Mac with slower system bus speed and the extra peripherals.

You are essentially reading from the external firewire HD, through the firewire port, and then outputing it via firewire to your camera.

Try having the project, if it can fit, on your internal drive and try it again, playing it to your TV.

Jesse Luke March 24th, 2006 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones
First, what type of system are you running this on? Processor speed, and very important...amount of RAM?

What OS are you running...Jaguar, Panther, Tiger....Tiger added Core Image

The size of the project or length of clips you are experiencing this problem with? Does this just happen with the video in the timeline or does it also affect shorter clips residing on the shelf?

Repair permissions....regularly. You will find Disk Utility in the Utilities

You can store your iMovie project folder to an external drive connected via firewire.

If I can think of anything more I will post....but I hope this helps a litte. Good luck.
-Jon

Thanks Jon, I feel like I'm getting redundant answering the same questions, but hey, whatever it takes to help each other out.

- G4 Quicksilver 733 MHz PPC
- 1.12 GB SDRAM
- 2 external 250GB Lacie HD
- iLife '06 & Tiger for the most up to date software available.
- size of clips, varies, I was having trouble at 15 mins & again at 38 mins worth of edited footage. These aren't big movies. one video & 2 audio tracks.
- HERE IS THE STRANGE THING, it works great & smooth untill I wanted to view it on a bigger tv screen. hence the patch through my camera. Then it is choppy both on the tv screen & on the computer screen. Even after I unplug the camera, restart the computer, etc, the footage is now choppy on the computer screen, with out the patch .... that's what's blowing my mind. If I hadn't patched it through, it would be fine. but now it won't go back to being smooth.
- plenty of memory & space, I store video & music on separate external hard drives.
-Yes, it now affects short clips & even when I turn off the audio tracks, it is still choppy. I just checked the shelf questioned. READY ... the shelved clips are not effected. In fact I just moved a clip from the time line, back to the shelf, & it was good while on the shelf, but when I replaced it to the timeline, it was choppy again.
- I just ran Disk Warrior & disk utility from the cd, so that's not it.

I think I covered all your concerns, but I think the only one that popped out was the clips on the shelf thing. Does that help?

Thanks

Jesse Luke March 24th, 2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Chu
In addition to what the other have mentioned:

You say use iTunes for music. It is a big no-no to use straight compressed MP3 music files in iMovie from iTunes.[Even though Apple advertises it as tight integration]--sometimes you need to convert the music files to AIFF first before putting it on the timeline or import directly from the CD.

If your project is really complicated, with a million cuts, and transitions and effects and music, you might consider exporting a full quality Quicktime file and reimport the file into a new project. It should play fine from there.

Thanks John,

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that my iTunes are NOT mp3 files, only because I import with AAC encoder on. And for the most part, they were imported from my stacks of cd's.

But maybe you are on to something. Normally I compose music for my videos & import from iTunes or Garage Band. but in this case, I'm doing a private project that's won't be for sale, so I am using other music.

Also, although I have one video track, & 2 audio tracks, there are a lot of cuts & edits & volume changes.

I too run the iMovie alone. & I've noted lots of my specs in this thread. If you need another piece of info, let me know.

I like that quicktime idea, but do I need to purchase quicktime pro for that?

Thanks again

John C. Chu March 24th, 2006 09:53 AM

Here's a workflow I used to do in iMovie, once my project got really complicated--with hundreds of cuts, transitions, dissolves etc.

I would output "sequences" -- that is, once I finished a ten minute segment, I will export a full quality,rendered Quicktime/DV Stream file of that sequence only.

I then delete that sequence from my iMovie project and then reimport the exported clip. Now that multiple clip sequence appears in iMovie as just one clip. It makes a WORLD of difference.

As fast as a 733mhz G4 is, iMovie 5 on 800mhz eMac runs okay[and heck of a lot better than that P.O.S. iMovie 3]

I'm not sure if you need Quicktime pro to "share" movies/export movies from iMovie.

But "playing thru to camera" might just be where you problem is--your firewire bus is just bogged down reading from the external HD and then outputting to your camera.

Jesse Luke March 24th, 2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Here's a wild guess:
Try having the project, if it can fit, on your internal drive and try it again, playing it to your TV.

John, Thanks for sharing your experience. I am a pro-musician for 20+ years, & I can run anybodies audio recording studio. I'm the guy people call to hook up there new home entertainment / stereo system. But this video is something else.

SO ... I put a copy of the video file onto the desk top. 22.37 GB - Opened it directly from there ... & the iMovie software is internal as well. But the same thing happens. AAAUUUGGGHHHH!!! I'm so frustrated.

The entire video is wacked. The 2 audio tracks are just fine.

Here's another bit of detail. So I downloaded all the clips from the camera into one iMovie file. I started editing & finished about 15 minuets & it looked great on the machine. It wasn't until AFTER I hooked up the camera, again ONLY as an adapter between the computer & the tv, that the video got choppy. THEN, on day 2 I did about about another 15 mins of time line & AGAIN, it looked great on the computer screen, but only AFTER I hooked up the camera again, this 2nd 1/2 of the footage became gittery.

This is so backwards in my mind. It's like water that has already come through the dam is creating havoc back in the dam.

I just noticed you replyied, I'll check it out ... THANKS!!!

Jesse Luke March 24th, 2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Here's a workflow I used to do in iMovie, once my project got really complicated--with hundreds of cuts, transitions, dissolves etc.

I would output "sequences" -- that is, once I finished a ten minute segment, I will export a full quality,rendered Quicktime/DV Stream file of that sequence only.

I then delete that sequence from my iMovie project and then reimport the exported clip. Now that multiple clip sequence appears in iMovie as just one clip. It makes a WORLD of difference.

As fast as a 733mhz G4 is, iMovie 5 on 800mhz eMac runs okay[and heck of a lot better than that P.O.S. iMovie 3]

I'm not sure if you need Quicktime pro to "share" movies/export movies from iMovie.

But "playing thru to camera" might just be where you problem is--your firewire bus is just bogged down reading from the external HD and then outputting to your camera.

Your Awesome. I was trying to find a way to "save" what was done already, I was actually going to split it up over 15 min segments. but I wanted the whole time line. That's exactly what I was looking for.

BUT, I still don't understand how all this is affecting my file AFTER I try to patch it out to an external monitor; ie, TV. If the file works smoothly before the line out feed, why does it change as soon as I hook up the fire wire. Is there a feed back happening? Is this the bogged down fire wire bus you are referring to? If it's a slow bus, why is it permanently affecting the file? Isn't that like the speakers of a stereo affecting the cd that's playing?

Again, it's most likely my inexperience so I appreciate your experience sharing.

John C. Chu March 24th, 2006 11:01 AM

Try also this:

After you copied the file to your internal drive. Disconnect the hub and every other firewire device such as your external hard drives except for the camera.

See how that works.

Jonathan Jones March 24th, 2006 11:31 AM

a few more suggestions...

Okay, it appears that you are running an adequate system with plenty of RAM, and I am bummed that nothing has worked thus far - Since it is compounded by adding output to tv via cam - I am suspecting that your video card is a key culprit - being additionally strained by the requisite muscle needed for Tiger's Core Image processing.

The first thing I would do is to export your entire timeline as a Full Quality DV file....and then re-import that file into a NEW iMovie project - NOT THE OLD ONE.....With iMovie 5 and above they introduced non-destructive editing common in FCE and FCP. With iMovie, now when you toss stuff into the trash and empty it...it is really still there and your project size can bloat quickly. This is especially problematic if it continues to retain clips that have proven problematic, buggy or overly complicated. If your timeline contains numerous cuts, effects, and transitions, all of that is further straining the video RAM - so don't reimport into the same project that is still trying to hold onto all that extra data.

Now onto other stuff - since it is very likely none of the above paragraph is going to help (???)

The fact that you are using a firewire hub - and the fact that it is only affecting the timeline and not the shelf are potentially illuminating....

Here are a few more suggestions:

First the hub....I tried a firewire hub once and didn't have good results - I think the firewire port from my Powerbook was just strained - so I ended up daisychaining my firewire devices...no problem.

Now the timeline:

First; make sure you are running the most recent update for iMovie '06

After you reboot, make sure you have NOT activated DASHBOARD - once it is activated, it continues to suck up resources - if there is a screwy widget it could be eating up all your cycles. Try the project again - any difference.

While running your project, open Activity Monitor and check out the stats - anything out of whack? rectify.

Regarding your mp3 audio.....One thing to double check it to make sure that your audio clips are matching - in bit rate and Khz. Don't use 12-bit - It doesn't work so well with the newer iMovies. Be sure your audio is all 16 bit - 44.1 Khz - although 48 Khz is preferable for dv.

Are you running any third party plug-ins for iMovie, such as those from GeeThree? Some of these are likely not yet upgraded for iMovie '06 and would only be affecting the timeline.

Finally, I must note the following: I have not yet used iMovie '06, but in Jobs keynote, he demonstrated it's use of Themes....as well as a mention that it features better live rendering for effects and such....this may be the source of bugginess - or certainly an indication of great strain on the video card.

If none of this stuff helps at all, Try the following.

Quit iMovie
Go to your project folder and control click to get the option to "show package contents".

You will find a folder in there called Cache. Open it and play back the 'timeline.mov' file in Quicktime. Does it playback properly? If so, then the problem appears to be that the system is overworked when playing the video through the iMovie interface (although I cannot promise this) . Maybe the full quality export and reimport is the key.....just make sure you reimport it into a fresh project file.

Again, good luck.
-Jon

Jonathan Jones March 25th, 2006 12:00 AM

this just in....

An added note based on a discussion on a local forum I just checked out....And it is the last thing I would have suspected as it goes against some of my advice from earlier posts, but someone else locally was having the same problem with iLife '06 on a 400 Mhz Mac. The project was on an external drive. The advice from another member stated that she had heard that iLife '06 has a bug that causes it to play poorly with external drives. The user in question moved the project over to his internal drive and performance was flawless.....go figure.
-Jon

Jesse Luke April 1st, 2006 12:38 AM

OK ... I've been on tour for a few days, My day job as a concert pianist, in order to afford a all this gear) so I haven't been back to the boards here for awhile.

I finished the project!!!! The movie was 65 minuets.

With all your insight & advice, I tried a variety of techniques that helped get the project done on time:

1) I saved the program in iMovie after a few edits. this helped tremendously in the editing phase.

2) After a number of edits, the program just couldn't keep up. the video portion to be exact, & since this was a musically intense edit, I needed to view the video in real time, without the stalling & jitters, so ...

I saved to a high quality Quicktime file & re-imported. After this maneuver it looked great.

BUT ... you really need insight as to where you are going with the project. For instance, if you edited music, you couldn't go back & re-edit the audio tracks, because after the quicktime transfer, it was part of the audio track, which, for me, in this project, involved a musical soundtrack, a number of audio effects, & the actually audio from the filming.

So ... in summing up, save often & download edited portions to high quality quick time video and re-load back into iMovie.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Time to go on to my 2nd movie. yeah !!!!!!

Jesse

Boyd Ostroff April 1st, 2006 05:55 AM

Glad to hear that you found some workarounds and got the job done. However it sounds like you're bumping into the limits of iMovie on the type of projects you're doing. You might consider upgrading to Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio so that you have room to grow and are using software that fits your style a little better.

David Askey April 3rd, 2006 05:07 PM

iMovie Displays Photos Better Than FCP

Has anyone noticed that when you share a quicktime using DV NTSC Photo montage in iMovie it is considerably better quality DV NTSC in FCP? I am using both scanned images at 400dpi and 3MP camera jpegs. I created a quicktime movies in iMovie and using the same pictures I did one in FCP and made a side by side comparison, iMovie had better sharper photos. Am I doing something obviously wrong or is this normal?

Thanks in advance
Dave Askey

Jesse Luke April 9th, 2006 11:38 AM

I actually purchased Final Cut Express a few years ago when I wanted to start getting into this video world, BUT ... I was unsuccessful because I had/have an older Quick Silver G4 without the super drive, not enough memory, VERY expensive DV cameras etc. etc. etc.

So the whole idea got shelved for about 4 years & I continued with an audio recording studio. believe it or not, I've used Garage Band for a number of professional sound track projects which are still being used on commercial cd's & dvd's and the like.

But now with lots of extra memory, 2 external drives, the invention of fire wire, a compatible external DVD burner, a $1,000 DV camera & other technology that has come along since then, including iMovie & iDVD, I've been using the iLife programs with great ease.

I do understand what you are saying, & appreciate the advice because it gives me hope that with a different program, like Final Cut, I'll get to do what I am imagining without all the aggrivation.

I agree that these issues are simply from pushing the boundaries of iMovie.

I just asummed that iMovie would be as usefull as Garage Band has been to my business, but I'm learning quickly that video is VERY different from Audio.

I'm looking forward to my new business venture.

Thanks for the help.

Michael Plunkett April 24th, 2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Askey
Has anyone noticed that when you share a quicktime using DV NTSC Photo montage in iMovie it is considerably better quality DV NTSC in FCP? I am using both scanned images at 400dpi and 3MP camera jpegs. I created a quicktime movies in iMovie and using the same pictures I did one in FCP and made a side by side comparison, iMovie had better sharper photos. Am I doing something obviously wrong or is this normal?

Thanks in advance
Dave Askey

can anyone address this?

Evan Dowling May 2nd, 2006 09:33 AM

Problems with iMovie HD

quick question...
I was using iMovie HD (2006) and wanted to use the iLink downconvert feature on the HC1 to make an SD video from my HD footage. I set up the downconvert in the camera's menu, then plugged it in to the firewire port. The problem I am having is that iMovie continues to detect the camera as HD and sets the video up for 1080i-30. And if I manually change the setting to DV widescreen, it says the camera is incompatible with my project. Any suggestions?