DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   iMovie questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/4257-imovie-questions.html)

Vince Halushka July 27th, 2007 09:05 PM

Imovie capture question

Kind of a funny question, but I just captured 3 hours of clips into an imovie project. The last clip is 427.dv.
I am searching my HD's and I can not find the raw dv clips anywhere. So my question is do the imovie project files contain all the dv clips? Why can I not find them on the hd??? The project file is 35gb's.
v

Pedanes Bol July 27th, 2007 09:22 PM

Yes, they are contained in the iMovie file as AIC clips. You can right-click the iMovie file to see the package contents. You will see a folder there which contains the individual clips.

P.

Vince Halushka July 27th, 2007 10:07 PM

I must be a rookie because I can't right clik with my mac mouse.
I can drag the clips from the timeline onto the desktop or folder..but they import and copy to your choice of location.

Pedanes Bol July 27th, 2007 10:29 PM

Control-click with a one-button mouse will do the same thing as a right-click of a mighty mouse. So, just control-click the iMovie file.

Jonathan Jones July 27th, 2007 10:32 PM

Traditional Apple mice don't have right-click capability. But if you Control-click, you get the same result. (That means pressing your Control Key while clicking your mosue.)

If you have an Apple Mighty Mouse, then you do have a right-click option, but it may not be actviated by default. If you do have the Mighty Mouse, you can go into System Preferences and select the mouse preference options. You can then activate the the right click options for the Mighty Mouse.

There are alot of options for the Mighty Mouse. Basically, the whole mouse is one large surface, but if you activate the underlying button control options, clicking on the left side of the mouse gives you the standard left click, and likewise, clicking on the right gives you the right click option. You can also set control parameters for the little tiny scross ball to include scrolling options for up and down as well as side to side and even diagonal ramping in applications that support that. Finally, there are options for squeezing the side grips as well. It really is quite a capable mouse, but it takes a while to get used to it.

Hope this helps.

-Jon

Bob Warner July 28th, 2007 12:01 PM

Fade-in "threads" on iMovie

Newbie question. I'm using some still photos in a video. Edited them in Photoshop CS3, saved as JPEG and then imported into iMovie. One of the shots is a human silhouette against a bright sky. I attached a fade-in to the image. On playback, as the image fades in there are little hair lines that briefly sweep across the image in the bright sky portion of the image (sort of following the outlines of the silhouette) as it is fading in. It is not just light gradually opening up on the image, there are these hairline artifacts that appear for a few seconds just as the image appears. Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks. Bob

Ben Winter July 28th, 2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Warner (Post 719956)
Newbie question. I'm using some still photos in a video. Edited them in Photoshop CS3, saved as JPEG and then imported into iMovie. One of the shots is a human silhouette against a bright sky. I attached a fade-in to the image. On playback, as the image fades in there are little hair lines that briefly sweep across the image in the bright sky portion of the image (sort of following the outlines of the silhouette) as it is fading in. It is not just light gradually opening up on the image, there are these hairline artifacts that appear for a few seconds just as the image appears. Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks. Bob

Sounds like JPEG artifacts hidden in the highlights. As the image fades in, the image is dark enough for the first few seconds to see the artifacts. Try a less compressed image format.

Rob Unck August 7th, 2007 03:15 PM

New iMovie HD

The new iLife '08 suite of apps was released today including iMovie. Does anyone know if the new version supports 24P? [Edit: I just loaded it up and no, it doesn't support 24P -- as in: editing in a 24fps timeline. I actually feel foolish that I ever thought it might. I was dazzled by Mr. Jobs' mojo in his presentation earlier today and thought perhaps anything was possible!] :)

Other than the following info on format support, I don't see any mention of 24P on Apple's site, but a boy can dream...

"iMovie supports standard and high definition video, as well as the most popular formats, including DV, HDV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and even AVCHD."

http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/

Derek Harkins August 8th, 2007 09:51 AM

imovie glitch help..

I use imove HD and capture with dvx100A. I have just recently started having a problem when I download clips for edditing. If I download a batch of of clips (no specific ammount or time frame) I get digital square blurs that show up and carry through to the final output. I can make them disapear sometimes if I rewind the tape and to a recapture of those clips but it meens I have to sit with my Mac and do the capture and fix in real time (I cannot walk away while the downlod happens so this can take hours) I thought this may be that I needed to defrag my HD so I purchased idefrag (didn't help) Anyway has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to fix it? Thanks for any and all help.

Jonathan Jones August 8th, 2007 10:04 AM

It sounds to me like you probably need to clean the heads on your cam. Try running a cleaning tape through it for 5 seconds or so.

-Jon

Derek Harkins August 8th, 2007 10:05 AM

Hmm.

I thought that the dvx100a had self cleaning heads, so I was told

Len Charnoff September 6th, 2007 12:37 PM

IMovie 8 Slow Motion Feature?

Just started to use IMovie 8 and wanted to edit a clip of my parrot flapping his wings. Am I missing something or is this feature not there?

Tnx.

Vince Halushka November 14th, 2007 10:57 AM

Imovie help needed.

We were putting together a 10 minutes clip of some racing and when I went to save the project file it saves then near the end of the save it says "building background movie" and it flashes an image in the lower left corner from the video clip the head or pointer is over. I tried moving the pointer to a different clip and it does the same thing. I reopened the project and still there??

I need to get rid of this, new background movie, any idea how it started???
thanks

Timothy D. Allen November 30th, 2007 03:42 PM

Best Consumer Camera for Editing in iMovie

I think this will apply here, since the questions really does focus around the editing/workflow process of a Mac applications.

My sister-in-law is a principle at an elementary school, and her students do a news-cast for what's happening at the school.

They're looking for an easy camera for her students to use, and they will probably be using iMovie. They currently use Windows Movie Maker, but I think the switch to iMovie makes more since.

Any advice for a consumer camera with an easy workflow in iMovie would be great! Thanks!

Edward Carlson November 30th, 2007 04:12 PM

Any SD MiniDV camcorder will work with iMovie. Most HD tape camcorders will too. Look here for a compatibility list.