iMovie questions - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #391
Regular Crew

I know most will *work*, but which one would be the easiest to use. Keep in mind these are elementary school kids! They're bright, but they're probably pretty new to all this stuff.
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #392
Major Player

So the real question is: What camcorder (that works with iMovie) is the easiest to use? Unfortunatley I can't answer that. I've been out of the consumer point-and-shoot camcorders for a while.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #393
Go Go Godzilla

Considering that all miniDV cameras sold today far surpass what was being made just 5 years ago, pick any model that fits your budget and enjoy. There won't be any clear winner among the bunch; they all shoot the same tape, same format and you'll have to capture the footage in the same manner no matter which brand or model it is.
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #394
Major Player

The iMovie part of the question is irrelevant.

I think you're looking for a simple, point-and-shoot MiniDV camcorder that can withstand the abuses that elementary school kids will subject it to(!)

Can you go to a Best Buy or the like with a handful of the children and see how they hold the different models? It might help rule out certain styles.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #395
Regular Crew

I shoot with a Sanyo HD1, a flash card based camcorder, and with a Canon HV20, a tape based camcorder. I edit the footage from both camcorders in iMovie. I found working with a flash card camcorder a lot easier than working with a tape based camcorder. To import the clips from Canon HV20 into iMovie you need to run the tape and import the footage in real time (time consuming). Importing the footage from Sanyo HD1 to my computer is very simple and easy, all I need to do is connect via USB which shows the camcorder on the desktop as a USB drive and then drag and drop the clips into iMovie (the older version). The new version of iLife automatically imports the clips from Sanyo HD1 (mpeg4 clips) into iPhoto as mpeg4 movies which can then be transported to iMovie 08 (the new version). I think flash card based camcorders will be easier for elementary school children as the mpeg4 format clips are easy to work with.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #396
Regular Crew

John, good idea! Unfortunately, I'm in Arizona, and my sis-in-law is in Texas. So that might not work.

Pedanes, thank you. That has kind of been the thing I've been wondering. I'll look into that Sanyo HD1 camera.

Thank you all for your help, and if anybody still has input, I'll take it!

Last edited by Timothy D. Allen; November 30th, 2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo
Timothy D. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM   #397
Major Player

Sanyo Xacti HD700 - Mac & iMovie

Just added a Sanyo Xacti HD700 to my kit as I wanted a pocket carry camera that did decent stills and HD video, liked the feature set of the HD1000 but it is a bit too big for my pocket.

Mine arrived Friday and I ran some tests on it yesterday. I love the looks and feel of the thing in my hand, plus it slips in my pocket and I'll always be ready for stills and HD video, very cool.

After playing with it a bit I slipped it in the dock and pressed the button (people seem to miss the button and post how it's not Mac compatible) and it showed up on my desktop as a drive. Opened it and saw the individual clips and stills I took. Dragged the clips to iMovie HD (6.0.3) and they opened just fine. Editing, etc., works as usual, and the tests clips looked darn nice, that made me happy and may spoil me for tape.

I am SO happy I can use this camera in iMovie HD as I'm not a fan of iMovie '08. I have FCP 5, too, but I use iMovie HD for some things as it's quick and easy. Will play with it in FCP later though.

Added a bendable tabletop (and post or tree limb or...) tripod to it. OfficeMax, of all places, has the Case Logic version of these things cheap, $25 for the bigger one and $10 for the little one (perfect for the HD700). That's half what the others (gorillapod) sell for.

Now to figure out how to use this camera and my yet unused .mac account for posting web galleries for personal videos and stills.
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM   #398
Major Player

coincidence ... i just this minute was looking at the Exacti pages on the Sanyo website. was thinking it looked perfect for the wife (mostly because i just like the old school look of it myself!) i did note that there was no mention of mac support on the website so thanks for the compatibility report
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM   #399
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mees View Post
coincidence ... i just this minute was looking at the Exacti pages on the Sanyo website. was thinking it looked perfect for the wife (mostly because i just like the old school look of it myself!) i did note that there was no mention of mac support on the website so thanks for the compatibility report
What's interesting is that Sanyo has several sites for their Xacti cameras, some sites are better than others. The following one on the HD700 (with links for the others) does state:

"Mac OS Compatible

Got a Mac? The new HD700 was designed to work with Apple’s full complement of video editing applications including the new iMovie 08. Easily edit your movies and add them to your website or YouTube for sharing or create versions for iPod, iPhone or the Apple TV. It’s Easy!"

http://www.sanyodigital.com/product.aspx?v=18

They also have tips page, that is on a totally different address, that shows how to do some things I didn't think this camera was capable of:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html

Here's the complete Sanyo Xacti line: http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/products/

After viewing a product clicking on "Let's shoot more movies" brings up the tip page for that camera.

The E1 and CA65 (not the CG65) are waterproof versions, but not HD.

Also, there's some user reviews and sample images and footage on Steve's Digicams forum:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=27
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:45 PM   #400
New Boot

Done most of my work previously on an Xacti/iMovie HD and it is the reason behind my +11 000 viewers on my You Tube cannel.

I always tell people that the best shots are done with the camera at hands and the small Sanyo devices are sure handy. By being able to slip it into the pocket and in an instant beginning shooting either film or pictures makes the best choice for the newbie in my book....

A quick tip; by a small Manfrotto table size tripod and you'll have more control of the camera due to its stabilizing effect when handheld and an excellent tripod for most indoor shots (table, chairs etc).

Quick tip II; get the clip-on wide angel lens adaptor for more dramatic shots.
Peter Wittinghoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:30 PM   #401
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wittinghoff View Post
Quick tip II; get the clip-on wide angel lens adaptor for more dramatic shots.
That is the downside of the HD700, no add-ons. I'm going to try and rig something up.
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite