DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   iMovie questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/4257-imovie-questions.html)

Dan Brown January 10th, 2004 08:32 PM

Whew! Thank you very much. I don't want to spend all that time capturing to my HD if it's in the wrong format. FCE2 should be in the stores any day now. I'll leave the video on tape for now.

Rich Sheikh January 24th, 2004 11:33 AM

iMovie....Sundance Film Festival

iMovie....Sundance Film Festival

Wrangler Note [JL]: Article removed. Please follow this link to read the original.

Stylianos Moschapidakis January 24th, 2004 12:00 PM

Great story! And it proves what they say about the art of filmmaking: it's not the equipment you use, it's the story you tell.

Indeed iMovie may not be, what people call, a "professional" NLE program but the truth is that working with limitations can bring out the best of one's creativity.

Diane Bogosian January 24th, 2004 03:51 PM

Thanks for posting this great story. It is a reminder to work with what you have and improvise. I can slip into thinking I can't make a "real film" until I have this or that equipment, or have access to SFX CDs, or acquire this or that software.

So I have set a goal for myself to do one really crappy short short a month. The crappier, the better. If I finish it and it sucks, I've succeeded. If I don't finish it, but the idea is still brilliant, I've failed.

I doubt if Cauette cared about what other people would think, or if he was using a cartoid vs an omni mic and so on. The irony is that it seems you really have to be passionate and oblivious to 'reality' to do something that gets this kind of critical attention...you can "decide" to be passionate and oblivious because that's how great work gets done...

"Great work" being, I guess, the opposite of what most of us do in this business, which is to make an actual living, in which case you might really want to know the difference between a cartoid and an omni, and you better worry about what someone else thinks, especially if she is your client...

And onward!

Stylianos Moschapidakis January 24th, 2004 07:26 PM

<<<--So I have set a goal for myself to do one really crappy short short a month. The crappier, the better. If I finish it and it sucks, I've succeeded. If I don't finish it, but the idea is still brilliant, I've failed.-->>>

Diane, I am with you 100%. Great attitude! Keep it up! I'd like to see one or more of your shorts.

Diane Bogosian January 24th, 2004 11:22 PM

>>Diane, I am with you 100%. Great attitude! Keep it up! I'd like to see one or more of your shorts.<<

SHOW them to OTHER people?
(I haven't advanced to that stage of enlightenment yet. :)

Actually, Stylianos, that's a great topic for discussion: showing your stuff to others, and how to get "tournament tough."

Grant McClintock March 2nd, 2004 04:28 PM

iMovie & FCE

Is there any discernible difference in the quality of the fianl out put (say to DVD) bewteen iMovie and FCE (assuming the same simple basic transitions and ignoring titles)? Or is the advantage of FCE more options and more flexibility.

Thanks, Grant McClintock

Glenn Chan March 2nd, 2004 06:02 PM

There shouldn't be a quality difference, unless you apply some filters that iMovie doesn't have (like color correction filters).

iMovie is great for short projects, but I've found iMovie2 to be catastrophic for large complicated projects (somehow people in my high school had half their media disappear).

Patricia Kim March 2nd, 2004 10:23 PM

Taking this thread a little off track to note that for iMovie it's really important not to empty iMovie trash while editing and to be sure you have enough disk space with which to work. iMovie does not fall into the "nondestructive" NLE category. iMovie upgrades all seem to end up being dubbed "the worst yet," but I've had almost no problems with it (in version 3.03) and there are lots of nice, relatively inexpensive plug-ins on the market .

Joe Gioielli March 11th, 2004 12:16 PM

imovie guestion

I am trying to make a a filmstrip in imovie. I am using photos from my iphoto library. When I drag a photo to the timeline, i create two photos in the time line.

Say I have the duration set for 5 seconds. I click on a picture of a bridge and drag it to the timeline I get two 5 second photos of the bridge. The two pictures are not linked, I can move them around the timeline. I just can't find out what is causing this.

Any thoughts would be a help.

Joe

Jeff Donald March 11th, 2004 12:42 PM

I don't use iMovie or iPhoto much, but I've never seen it duplicating images unless copied and pasted etc. Have you tried installing iMovie again? Have you added any plugins etc. recently that might be causing a conflict?

Joe Gioielli March 11th, 2004 02:16 PM

No. I'm not on the net so I haven't installed any plug ins.

I haven't reinstalled it. It came installed and I'll have to check the manual to see how to reinstall if I want to go that route. I want to avoid that if I can.

I'll keep pokeing around. I must have done something to cause it.

Thanks
Joe

Patricia Kim March 11th, 2004 02:56 PM

I use iMovie and iPhoto, but have never seen this issue discussed. One thing that everyone tells you to do when you run into unusual problems is to trash your preferences (in this case, for both iMovie and iPhoto) and repair permissions, then try again. Oops. Just remembered something. You say you are dragging the photo. The way I import a photo is to make sure the Ken Burns effect is turned off, set the duration, and then click on apply. That sends the photo to the end of the timeline. Possibly if you are dragging the photo as well, that is why you're getting a duplicate?

Joe Gioielli March 11th, 2004 05:45 PM

I bet your right, Kim. I'll check that.

Thanks

Guest March 26th, 2004 04:20 PM

I aggree..

I did some intensive editing with Imovie 3 and found out that you should either do one of two things:

empty the trash regularly before it get's too big

or

don't empty it at all.

If it get's too large and you empty it, you will run the risk of corrupting
the entire file. It happened to me. Be careful.

Good luck,
Dan