DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing radio spots with FCP?

I work for an ad agency and we're justing starting to get into tv production. I'm on a G5 2.0 w/ 1GB RAM and am using FCPHD. Now they want me to edit some radio spots. I'd be using FCP to edit the audio and exporting the audio file and converting it to MP3 to send to the radio stations. We don't have money in the budget to buy an audio editing program so I'm wondering if FCP can be used for this purpose in a barebones sort of way.

For the first spot I'm doing, I'll be recording the audio with my DVCAM camera and then importing it into FCP. But in the future I want to record audio straight to into my mac. I've seen some online articles saying I need a preamp or a mixer in order to bring the audio in. Buying a sound card isn't in the budget either. What is the difference between a preamp and a mixer and how would I set them up to feed into the mac. I'm assuming I can use the Voice Over tool in FCP to bring the audio in to edit.

Am I crazy or is this an option?!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

Actually FCP shipped with an audio editing program - either "Peak DV" or "Peak LE" depending on your version. It's on a separate disk so it may not have been installed.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I like FCP as an audio editor after years of looking at small hardware sampler screens. But you may want to download Audacity. Its a free audio editing /recording app. Also allows plug ins etc. Very cool. I've used this myself for VO's etc. works really well with the Tascam US122 USB interface. Will also work with the Macs built in audio.I use this to convert vinyl to cd/mp3 too!
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Funny. Peak slipped through the cracks. I just installed it (Peak 3 Express). I guess you have to buy the full version upgrade. I'm going to check out Audacity now. Thanks.

So with these editing programs I still have the question of how to get the audio into my computer. Do I need a mixer or a preamp or both or none?
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Mixers have preamps in them. On a budget, get a UB-series Behringer mixer because they have excellent preamps in them. They got into a patent infringement lawsuit with Mackie, which makes the Mackie mixers with VLZ-pro preamps which are also really good. Behringer mixers cost roughly a third of the Mackies.

To record VO, you need:
-a script or copy
-talent
-a room. Ideally, the room would have almost no reverb and no background noise.
-microphone
-cabling If you want to move the microphone into a quiet room (i.e. away from noisy things like your computer), get long cables.
-a mixer with headphone feed is nice but not required. Ideally the talent has headphones.
-preamp
-analog-digital converter (i.e. your camera, PCI/USB/firewire sound card)
-computer or other recorder

Some devices combine the preamp and analog-digital converter.

What camera are you using by the way? It may have a decent analog-digital converter in it.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Well to get decent quality you will want a pre and a interface for your mac. I use the Tascam US122 USB interface. its 2 channel line/mic with phantom power. Most will tell you to go for a firewire interface but honestly if you are on a tight budget and are only going to record a vocal track then usb should be fine. You can get several USB interfaces or under $200. there is also a new mic out that has a USB connection built in. I think its made by Samson IIRC.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I've got a Sony DSR-250

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite