Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 26th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #1
New Boot

Eliminating Handling Noise

Hi there DVi Community,

I have noticed a low level of camera handling noise on my audio tracks - anyone know how I might get rid of it. I have used the Notch Filter in FCP to lessen noise from high gain settings and am wondering if there might be a setting that also deals with lower frequency sounds of bumps/rubs on the camera body.

Look forward to hearing from someone,

Phil
Philip Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Use an equalization filter to get rid of bass frequencies. However, you want to avoid getting rid of good frequencies (i.e. dialogue). Dialogue usually starts around 100hz or so, depending on the person's voice and male/female (female's voices are generally higher). Set the equalizer to reduce low frequencies as much as possible, and the cutoff to be as high as possible (i.e. a high Q settings... if the EQ filter has graphical settings, the slope should become sharper). Start low and sweep the frequency up until you hear damage to your audio, then back off.

"High pass" and "parametric" EQ filters would be what you're looking for. Low shelf would work too.

2- Which version of FCP? With older versions, the audio filters are not real-time. Use Peak DV instead.

3- Another thing you can try is manually replacing quiet parts with room tone. This is not fun though. Or manually cut out quiet parts and put them on their own track where you apply EQ that gets rid of more bass. You will need to do a cross-fading thing so everything is seemless.

4- You probably can't do all that much about handling noise in post if the things above don't work. It's nearly always a good idea to capture good audio in the first place. You can avoid handling and some camera noise by getting a shockmount for your microphone. Check the "now hear this" forum for audio advice.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #3
New Boot

Cool advice, Glenn, thanks very much.

Best wishes,

Phil
Philip Melia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite