DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Major Player

TFT monitor advice

I'm looking to move from my 19" CRT to a TFT monitor for editing. I've pretty much narrowed the field down to two: the Apple 20" Cinema Display, and the LG L1980U.

Apple CD: 20", 1680*1050, contrast ratio 400:1, response time 16ms; dot pitch 0.258mm

LG L1980U: 19", 1280*1024, contrast ratio 500:1, response time 12ms; dot pitch 0.294mm

In its favour, the Apple has size and style, whereas the LG has response time and contrast ratio. Oh, and price, it's only half that of the Apple.

So, in your experience, would you say that the Apple is fast enough and has enough contrast for video editing, or would I be better off losing a bit of screen real estate and going for the LG's otherwise superior performance characteristics? I guess I'm asking what response times and levels of contrast would you deem acceptable for video work?
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Major Player

The Apple by far is a nicer monitor, especially if you have a single monitor set up. It was specifically designed for video editing, however, you would want a decent video monitor for color correction.

Also check out the Dell 2005FPW. It's a widescreen monitor like the Apple, 1680x1050, but about half the price. It does not have the quality feel and sturdiness of the Apple. Actually most displays don't.
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Dave, I appreciate your feedback. I hope you might help with a couple of questions that arose from that.
Quote:
The Apple by far is a nicer monitor, especially if you have a single monitor set up.
Have you seen or used the LG, or what makes the Apple 'far nicer' (other than it's widescreen, larger, better looking and I really want one)?
Quote:
It was specifically designed for video editing, however, you would want a decent video monitor for color correction.
Are you saying that having the Apple CD would require me to have a second monitor anyway? I do understand the use of a TV monitor (as opposed to computer monitor) to check colours for TV playback, but I will also use this screen for photoshop/video work for the web and photo printing. Under those circumstances, would the Apple be good enough on its own? Thanks.

FWIW, it appears that the 2005FPW may not be readily available here, but without the ugly speakers it doesn't look too bad! :)

AND ... Apple have today dropped the price of the 20" CD by CHF300/$200! This makes the CD look even better (especially if I team it with the new dual 2.3GHz PM)
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Another option you can look into is waiting for a hot deal on a Dell LCD. Every once in a while they have hot deals on them, which means you are getting pretty good bang for your buck. The specs shouldn't be too important if you rely on a NTSC monitor to see what your video looks like (which you should, especially with Final Cut).

Bezel size might make a difference if you have dual monitors. For information on which LCDs have thin bezels, definitely check out:
LINK: Digital Tigers LCD Database

A CRT would also be good if you are looking for color accuracy for Photoshop work. You would need a calibration device such as the Colorvision Spyder to calibrate your monitor for accurate Photoshop work. Some people say certain LCDs can be just as accurate... I really wouldn't know.
see http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/.../computer.html
and
http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/...FAQ/faqdi.html
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Glen. Some LCDs can be just as accurate as CRTs, but they cost $$$!

I'm interested in how accurate the Apple CD is though. Since most of my output is to TV/web, absolute colour accuracy is not such a big deal because the output devices will vary anyway. But, obviously, it has to have some decent degree of colour fidelity.
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Apparently, the LG is 6-bit and the Apple and Dell, which are both based on the same LG.Philips screen, are 8-bit. Anandtech gave the Dell a slightly better review than the Apple in a side-by-side comparison, but there wasn't a lot in it.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite