If I wanted to become a professional editor... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Major Player

If I wanted to become a professional editor...

Hey guys,

If I wanted to become a professional editor what program would I have to learn and become certified in? Right now it sounds like AVID but at the same time it seems like Avid is slowly going out the door because of it's lack to cater to the everyman (mind you FCP doesn't exactly do that but it seems much more attainable to users that want to move up the ladder than Avid (but that might just be my personal observation))

I ask this because right now I'm a first year university student looking at getting heavy into editing, and I want whatever I invest the time to learn to be something a can grow with and become certified in so that way one day I can do it for money. I'm afriad of buying Avid and then having it overthrown by some other NLE leaving me with no work because they don't give a damn if I used the old standard. I need to learn something that will ensure me jobs in the future and the praise between Vegas, Priemeir, Avid, and Final Cut Pro seems so close in contest. I'm not asking about personal opinion over what is better here I need to know what to learn to get JOBS in the future.

Also the platform I'm using is irrelevant too because I'm planning on buying a new computer soon anyways and will buy whatever I need to based on the program.

One last thing, once the program I should learn has been determined can someone tell me what level to learn(because they're all available in so many different versions)? And where I can go to get certifiation or trainning?

Please help me out guys.

Note: I asked this in both forums to get the views of both mac and pc users.
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

Evan, we don't allow cross-posting here at DVinfo, See: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/announcement.php?f=31

Please respond to the other copy of this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=43867
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite