Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to avoid drop frames

Hi all,

I'm doing editing with FCP5. The footage was shot on a Sony TRV-20 dv camera which Camera B. Main camera DVX100. I put together all the clips but while playing the sequence the frames are dropping and warning message to disable unlimited RT. What should i do to avoid this. Then i switched to Safe RT but still its getting stuck and dropping frames. But i couldn't see anything bad happening to the footage because the lipsync is perfectly matching with the audio track.

Any ideas to avoid this problem.
Hari
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:12 AM   #2
Wrangler

How about some more info on your setup? What kind of Mac? Where is the footage stored? On your internal startup drive? Second internal drive? External drive (firewire or USB)?

Dropped frames are usually caused by drives which are too slow. But I've never used FCP 5, so there may be some new issues there.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

drop frames

Apple mac G5
500gb 250+250gb
2gb ram
fcp 5 installed on frist drive and media files are in the first drive in separate directory
fcp 5
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Wrangler

You should set your scratch disk to use the second internal drive, not your startup drive. You should also move any other project files to that second drive. It's a bad idea to capture/edit from the startup drive. Just the operating system itself contains thousands of small files, and all your other stuff generally amounts to thousands more. This sort of scenario is bad for video editing since it can lead to a fragmented disk which slows performance. The operating system and program itself also need to constantly read and write to the startup drive.

If at all possible, keep one drive devoted solely to your video files. They tend to be big files and there aren't all that many of them, therefore the disk shouldn't have fragmentation problems. You can also use an external firewire drive. Just be certain that you set your FCP preference to use this other drive and not the startup drive, which is where it will default if you don't do anything else.

See if this helps. You don't say what kind of G5 you have, but I'm assuming that it's fast enough for the job, and that the disks are the issue. Like I said, FCP 5 may have some other "gotchas," I haven't used it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

will do it

Yes you're right. I get it. I will set the second drive to mainly have video clips. Do we have to use the "Media manager" to point to the specific location in the second drive or is there any configuration file that we need to update. Because when i do "Log and capture" it goes to the default installation directory of FCP5 which is the primary drive.

Thanks Boyd,

Hari
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Here is a great article on FCP system maintenance. Even if resetting your capture drive fixes your problem, you should still take a look at this http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...cp_jordan.html You set your capture drive, called "Scratch Disk" in Audio/Video settings.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

good doc

Looks like a good doc to read on system maintenance on scratch disk. I will read through tonight. Thank you.
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite