Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to make a universally playable DVD

Hello,

Could someone explain how I export my HD video project from FCP 5.1.4 to Compressor in a format that will be playable on all DVD players and computers (after using DVD Studio Pro)?

Many thanks
Simon
Simon Glidewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There is no such thing as a single DVD that will be guaranteed to be playable on all standalone players. It's easy enough to make a disk for All Regions or Region Free but you will find that few if any NTSC players will play PAL format. On the bright side most PAL players will play NTSC format disks. As far as playing on computers then as long as the disk is Region Free then you wil be OK.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Nigel. What I meant was how does one make a DVD from FCP that is playable on a DVD player and a computer - not the video playback standard (i.e. NTSC/PAL/SECAM). We just want a DVD that's playable in PAL format. Anyway I've exported the video in Quicktime as a self contained movie which I hope works for the above?

Cheers
Simon
Simon Glidewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Simon,

The process of creating a DVD image isn't done in FCP it's created in DVD Studio Pro or other DVD authoring application.

You first have to convert your movie from FCP into MPEG-2 compliant files using Compressor with the proper settings for video and audio then import that into DVDSP.

The process isn't as straightforward as you're thinking and requires careful attention to detail to create a multi-compliant DVD spec. DVDSP can create a PAL image with no problem.

I'd suggest getting out your books that came with your copy of Final Cut Studio and reading up on the proper methods for DVD creation or, do a search on this forum for "DVD authoring" to see several threads that outline the process from beginning to end.

Lastly, any computer with DVD playback software - Mac or PC - can play either a PAL or NTSC DVD without a problem; only set-top players in the US have issues with PAL discs
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Lastly, any computer with DVD playback software - Mac or PC - can play either a PAL or NTSC DVD without a problem;
Windows Media Player does not always count among those. DEDICATED DVD Player software is required to GUARANTEE a computer will play back DVDs and not ALL computers ship with DVD Player software installed. In my role as an A/V tech at a former 9-5 job, this came as a shock and surprise to me when I started getting service calls on our rental laptops that DVDs wouldn't play for presentations on LCD projectors. Downloaded and installed free DVD Player software and BANG done!
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Better than Halle Berry

Yeah you can burn a QuickTime clip as data to a DVD-R with the Burn Folder or with something like Toast. Then any computer with a DVD-ROM drive will be able to load the disc and access that clip as data. But that's completely different from authoring a DVD that would be playable from a computer's DVD player application as well as a set top DVD player.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
There is no such thing as a single DVD that will be guaranteed to be playable on all standalone players. It's easy enough to make a disk for All Regions or Region Free but you will find that few if any NTSC players will play PAL format. On the bright side most PAL players will play NTSC format disks. As far as playing on computers then as long as the disk is Region Free then you wil be OK.
Actually quite a few NTSC DVD players will play PAL but they are all "lesser" brands (for the lack of a better term). Many models from companies like Phiilps, APEX, Coby or Samsung will play PAL DVDs and convert the signal to NTSC as long a there is no region code specified when you author the disk. Panasonic, Sony, JVC all have models that will not play PAL (if not all of their models).
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Actually quite a few NTSC DVD players will play PAL but they are all "lesser" brands (for the lack of a better term).
So if the instruction manual is in Ingrish ("Be for making playback, be placing in tray disc") you stand a good chance?

All kidding aside, when I was in India, our driver had an indash video player (I don't think calling it a DVD player would be entirely accurate) that played whatever he threw at it, typically a VIDEO CD that he JUST picked up from a roadside market. Protectionism may or may not be your friend...
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Better than Halle Berry

I can tell ya few if any brands you'll find say in a Best Buy in the U.S. will play PAL and even if it did you'll also find few if any consumer TVs that are multisystem. Now in Europe it's a totally different story and just about any PAL player/TV will play NTSC.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Multisystem TVs are not really available in the US anymore however as I wrote before many brands of DVD players convert the signal to NTSC without telling you that it's happening. Not just PAL, 24p movie DVDs are converted as well. I have $20 DVD players that do a very good job of playing PAL on NTSC monitors. Also many LCD TVs are multi-standard; 480, 720, 1080, DVI, VGA. Are any of those built to show PAL and NTSC?
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM   #11
Better than Halle Berry

24p DVDs are not 'converted' in any special way. Every NTSC DVD player ever made has the built-in capability to do a 3:2 pulldown from a 24p DVD That's been part of the DVD spec from day one. So let's not confuse that issue with PAL/NTSC.

Bottom line is you will not get PAL discs to playback in a vast majority of DVD player/TV combos in the U.S. Desktop computer-based DVD playback sure, but set top players- heck no.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite