HDV Ingestion Dilemma at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV Ingestion Dilemma

Thanks in advance for any help with this...

I've got to edit some HDV (mixed with a little standard DV) into a three minute piece that will then be output to DVCPro for SD broadcast. I have FC Express HD, as well as FCP HD 4.5. (I may also have access to the Lumiere plug-in, but it's not on my machine at the moment so I'm not counting on it.) Our upgrade to FCP 5 is "on its way" and won't be here until mid-June. That is not soon enough!

My dilemma is, of course, how to best get my HDV in to work with. The consensus seems to be that the AIC is poor. I did a little test with FCX and ingested using AIC, then output to MPEG-2 for a DVD. It was not horrible, but I still want to edit native HDV!

That's not gonna happen unless I drive an hour to the Apple store and pony up the $$$ (of my own money) to buy FCP 5 or Studio. Or get in my time machine and go forward a few weeks.

However, a buddy of mine has an Aja Io box and I could, in theory, connect the HDV deck via component and perhaps get better quality digitizing that way.

Any thoughts, suggestions, insults? Thanks again.
Mark Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hmmmm. Maybe finding that Lumiere plug-in is the way to go as a stop-gap measure... Going off to read up on it now...
Old June 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow... not one reply? Is this question that far offbase, or is it so dumb it's not worth replying to?

Well, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do this FCPX/AIC. I'd really, really love to have the native editing, but oh well.

FWIW: The Aja Io doesn't do HDV.

What about that HDVxDV program? Anyone use that? Thanks, Mark
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Try posting these questions on the Apple Discussions for FCP:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...epP.0@.ee6bcd7

More people using HDV. A difficult format to work with, even in it's native format. ESPECIALLY if you and to mix it with SD.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite