DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 9th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing tape w/ TC breaks

I want to capture footage from a tape that has timecode breaks. Basically I shot some footage on this tape one day, had to take the tape out of the camera (a Sony DSR-250), then put it back in to record some different footage. So I started recording a few seconds after the last recording with the TC starting at 00:00:00;00. So when I go to capture with FCP and specify an I and O point in the second part of the recorded tape, when it goes to batch capture, it rewinds all the way to the beginning of the tape and captures the wrong stuff. I find the "capture now" way of capturing to be too time consuming. Is there a way to work around it?
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #2
New Boot

try batching what's before the break and what's after the time code break separately. when you're done capturing the first stuff, fast forward until you get past the break and the TC resets.

alternatively, you could use the "capture clip" instead of capturing now or batch capturing in fcp.
Jon Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You could dub the tape. The dub will have continuous timecode.
For archiving this may be advantageous.

2- Next time, use the end search feature on your camera?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
2- Next time, use the end search feature on your camera?
But the end search feature no longer works once you take the tape out of the camera. This is what the Sony tech guy told me. It makes no sense to me because my piece of crap consumer camera at home can find the "end" on any tape I throw in it. A serious frustration for a camera that costs 6 times as much.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite