DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using FCP 5?

I'm just curious if I should go for the upgrade now or if it is buggier than 4.5. How well is the multicam feature working?

Thanks.
Old June 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Major Player

I think it depends on your workflow. If you have a lot of projects lined up I think I would wait before switching til everything is ironed out. Dont want to run into problems if you are on a deadline or in the middle of a project.But then again im still in FCP 3 and 10.2.8 just because it works well for me and i have yet to need the new features or have had any type of problems with the set up.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #3
New Boot

^^^ listen to this man. if you are in the middle of a project don't even contemplate a software update until you're finished.

i'm working with a clean install of osx 10.4.1, fcp 5.0 on a 1.5ghz 15" AlBook, as well as a 12" AlBook with with the same software. i am using a GL2 and XL1. This configuration has caused a plethora of problems, ranging from an inability to batch capture, the fw800 7200rpm scratch drive drops more frames than the internal 5400rpm laptop drive, and even "making movie" drops frames once every few outputs. these add up to missed deadlines and late productions for me. these computers are all clean installs too, which is especially perplexing.

i believe that your mileage will vary and my experience is certainly not typical. my advice is to do a clean install of a stable, tested OS (not tiger), a stable version of FCP with any updates, and use that computer soley for editing; nothing else. for me, that means os 10.3.8 and fcp 4.5 for now.

edit: i have not tried the multicamera features live, but the multiedit works great. i have found the 1.5ghz g4 is choking on the RT rendering, but that could be becuase we only have 512mb in there.
Jon Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

FCP5 works great for me - no crashes, no hangups. Working in DV and HDV from the Z1U with no problems.

Make sure if you are upgrading to 10.4.1 you are doing it correctly (unplug all of your firewire devices, repair permissions, then upgrade). Then install FCP5, etc.

Cheers
Stephen Schleicher
www.stephenschleicher.com
home of the final cut pro quick tips
Stephen Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Major Player

I made the move to 5.0 right smack in the middle of a few projects (wedding videos). No regrets, no crashes, the system is stable. Although I havent taken the time to reading through the manuals yet, the new features (read: Multicam edit) are saving me hours.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite