DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mac Trouble

My neighborhood had a power outage. The computer (G4) was on (sleep mode)when it went out. I turned off the outlet strip power before the electricity came back on. Now that the electricity is back on my computer will not turn on. I press the button and the light temporarily comes on but turns off again when I release it. I hear no attempt of the copmputer to start up.

Anybody have any ideas about my predicament?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Scoboria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

Sounds like something may have blown in your power supply. Some parts may be replaced with the "DIY Service" option - see:

http://www.apple.com/support/diy/faq/

There are also 3rd party places that sell things like power supplies - look at the ads in the back of MacWorld Magazine or do some Googling. Of course it could be something else as well. I'd make a "genius" appointment at the nearest Apple Store and bring it in, they can probably help you narrow down the problem and suggest the least expensive repair route.

Also, if you can document a problem from a power surge/outage you may be able to get some coverage from your utility company. Check to see what their policy is.

I hate to ask, but do you have the computer hooked up to a UPS?...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help Boyd.

I'll check out what you suggested as soon as I can.

You asked if I was hooked up to a UPS - I actually don't know what that is. What would be the problem if I was?

Mike
Mike Scoboria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A UPS is an "uninterruptible power supply." Available at Costco under the name of Tripp-Lite or at other computer shops as "APS", etc.

It provides instant backup power in the event the power goes out in your neighborhood. Price is about $100 which is cheap insurance. Sudden power drops or sags can damage your computer and a UPS helps prevent it.

I've made it standard practice to connect all critical equipment to UPS's and have avoided problems over the years.
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #5
RED Problem Solver

Two things could be wrong:

1) PMU needs resetting - the Power Management Unit. There's a little press-button on the motherboard. However, I'd not recommend, personally doing it.

2) One or both of the processors are fried.

In either case, I'd take it in for a service. I've had 4 G4s die this way after the big power cut the other year.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite