Euphonix/FCP7 bug at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Euphonix/FCP7 bug

I've just taken delivery of an MC Control and I'm learning how to use it with FCP7 but I think I may have tripped over a bug. I'm running under OS X 10.5.7, using the latest EUControl (2.03.63120).

The following sequence causes the MC Control to clear the entire screen and lose all control of FCP7 -- the Shuttle wheel also becomes inoperative.

Here's how to reproduce the bug:

Open up an FCP project. All is well, the Buttons and Soft Keys come up and FCP is shown as being the application being controlled.

On Page 4, select Audio Mixer button. The Audio Mixer tab appears in the Tool Bench window on top of the Viewer window.

Click on the top left hand Close Window icon of the Tool Bench (the left-most of the three tiny circles).

Boom. The MC Buttons and Soft Keys clear down even though FCP is still the front application (and is shown as being controlled by the MC Control), all control has, in fact, been lost.

The only workaround is to click on the desktop or bring another application to the front, and then revert back to FCP -- at which point all is well -- all the buttons and soft keys come back, although the Shuttle/Jog wheel is still inoperative -- you have to select the Audio mixer button again and *iconize* the Toolbench window to bring that back.

Anyone else seen this bug, please? More to the point: is there a workaround? (Yeah, right, don't close the Tool Bench window! :) )

Regards
Andy
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Andy

Control Surface support in FCP has always been tied to the Audio Mixer window, and that window must remain open for proper functionality. As you have discovered, it can be minimized/hidden etc but not closed. Apple do not classify this as a bug but rather "working as intended" although the intention is questionable. I'd urge you to drop a note of your request for modeless Control Surface support in FCP on Apple's Final Cut Pro Feedback page ... the more reports they get the more likely it will be addressed.
Apple - Final Cut Pro - Feedback

Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mees View Post
Hi Andy

Control Surface support in FCP has always been tied to the Audio Mixer window, and that window must remain open for proper functionality.
Aha. That certainly confirms the phenomenon.

Quote:
As you have discovered, it can be minimized/hidden etc but not closed. Apple do not classify this as a bug but rather "working as intended" although the intention is questionable.
I certainly concur with that. The logic seems to be:
1. If you want to control the video playback head in the timeline.
2. You must open the Audio Mixer.

Hmm.

Mind you, I've only been a systems programmer since 1963, so I'm sure I'll understand this when I've got more experience. ;)

Quote:
I'd urge you to drop a note of your request for modeless Control Surface support in FCP on Apple's Final Cut Pro Feedback page ... the more reports they get the more likely it will be addressed.
Apple - Final Cut Pro - Feedback

Best
Andy
Will do.

Thanks, Andy (great choice of name, btw).
Have fun in KL.

Regards
Andy (West)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite