DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Trustee

Intuos for NLE?

I use Premiere, AE, PS and Illustrator CS4 and I also want to begin using Cinema 4D. I primarily use AE at the moment with the other programs supporting my AE projects. I know using the Intuos with 3D apps is very common, but I can't find much info on people using the Intuos with AE or NLE's. One of the main benefits I can see for myself is controlling 2 screens with one tablet, ie. I can go from one side to the other much quicker. Besides 3D apps, does anyone have any experience or useful tips?

Thanks
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Major Player

I use a Bamboo at home, and an Intuos at work, but both are single monitor situations. I don't have any tips, it's pretty much an ergonomic choice more than anything. I like using the tablet in Motion and Color since it has a bit of an edge in terms of finer movements than a mouse.

I like the fact that you can map commands to the tablets buttons, very convenient.
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I tried the Intuos with FCP and AE for a while but ended up back with the trackpad/ trackball/ Mighty Mouse depending on the computer I was using. Part of the problem was the modifier keys on the left side which don't work with left-handed people. Yes, you can invert the orientation of the entire tablet but then the cord is now sticking out straight towards you. While I happily use the tablet for Photoshop and Flash, I found it to be less useful for programs that were designed for mouse use.
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use a basic 4x5 Wacom tablet with my Premiere CS3 system at my office, and a Intuos 4 with my FCP 7 system at home. I started using a tablet years ago because of forearm pain from too much mouse use. The tablet got rid of the pain in a couple of days. Never had it since.

They do take some getting used to. Co-workers will sit down to use my computer at my office, pick up the pen and get frustrated very quickly. They look like they've just lost all coordination in their arm. So you have to be a little patient getting started.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Major Player

I have a small one at my home office and love it. The only reason I keep a mouse around now is for when other people need to use the machine. As Michael said it does take a little getting used to so don't get frustrated when you first get one.

-Andrew
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Trustee

yes, use mouse mode on the tablet. using "tablet" mode where it tries to map 1:1 with the screen will make all but the largest tablets seem very jerky to control. I'd reccomend a 6X11... except the new ones are actually smaller then the older intuos3's. 6X11 is about as small as you want to go, a 4X5 is pretty annoying to working with because you just don't get enough control. I've been using tablets for 10+ years now, and have 3 units now.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite