Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 20th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Clients asking for WMV files for websites

Hi,

I usually make mpeg4 files using H.264 for customers wanting website material. I have a few that are worried that their clients won't have Quicktime and are therefore asking me for WMV compatible files.

Is there a good way of doing this?
I usually export my Quicktime Movie from sequence settings then convert with Mpeg Streamclip using H2.64 should I do this and just make it wmv and if so, which compression settings are to be recommended in this scenario?

Thanks a lot
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't know what tool you should use to do this, but I can tell you that WMV (newest versions) are very similar to h.264 when it comes to bitrates and settings. Just use the same thing you would normally.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Chris.

There's an application called DV Kitchen for US$79.95. According to its specs page, it can export in WMV (amongst many others).

Tech Specs at DVcreators.net
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Trustee

I think you might want to look at Flip4Mac, it works for us / Battle Vaughan

link is: Telestream Flip4Mac WMV - Overview

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; October 20th, 2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Have you considered using a Flash video player to play the MP4 directly on the Web site? One suggestion is FlowPlayer, which I use regularly.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I take it convincing all of their clients to install VLC isn't a possibility?
Jordan Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Perrone, are you saying Compressor doesnt have a export to WMV setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I don't know what tool you should use to do this, but I can tell you that WMV (newest versions) are very similar to h.264 when it comes to bitrates and settings. Just use the same thing you would normally.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

No, I am not saying that. I've never seen or used compressor, so I don't know what the correct tool is. I don't have or use a Mac.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Trustee

Sherif -- Unless Apple added it in the lastest version of FCP, WMV files are not native to Apple products, and you need an add-on app to handle. My former employer provided Flip4Mac, which is recognized by Sorenson Squeeze and other compression programs. Never got on well with Compressor --- way slow and fiddly in my experience --- so am not sure if Flip4Mac will plug in to Compressor or not. But hey, why would Apple support a Windows-specific format? Way to much niceness on their part...:) / Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
I think you might want to look at Flip4Mac, it works for us / Battle Vaughan

link is: Telestream Flip4Mac WMV - Overview
+1 I have had Flip4Mac for some time and it works great for this.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
No, I am not saying that. I've never seen or used compressor, so I don't know what the correct tool is. I don't have or use a Mac.
Hey Perone
You do realise this is the Non-Linear Editing on the Mac forum ? ;-)

Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I only jumped in to make a quick comment on creating wmv files since it's something I do nearly weekly. Got dragged into the rest..

I'll steer clear next time.
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I had to resort to setting up a BootCamp WinXP SP3 partition to use Windows Media Encoder. I export using QT conversion from the timeline to AVI - DV PAL, quality high or best 16:9 for input into WME.

I have Flip4Mac on order (I work in govt department so jump through hoops of admin and weeks/mths for procurements)

Our new desktop role-out across the organisation resulted in only WMV8 video being compatible. WMV9 pixelate and display block colours. So, Flip4Mac will beof no use as I understand it does not support WMV8.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #14
Major Player

I just checked, Compressor in the FCS3 package does export to wmv, it doesnt have an easy setup but google on the topic and there is lots of help, its seems easy to do, and i'll try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
Sherif -- Unless Apple added it in the lastest version of FCP, WMV files are not native to Apple products, and you need an add-on app to handle. My former employer provided Flip4Mac, which is recognized by Sorenson Squeeze and other compression programs. Never got on well with Compressor --- way slow and fiddly in my experience --- so am not sure if Flip4Mac will plug in to Compressor or not. But hey, why would Apple support a Windows-specific format? Way to much niceness on their part...:) / Battle Vaughan
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I can't find WMV options in Compressor 3.5.1. It used to appear under a QT export option even just in QTPro, however it was a demo ver that was limited to 30s duration - you had to buy the full Flip4Mac package.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite