Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sound clicks in final FCP movie?

Hello all,

I have this weird problem in FCP 5 that I can't quite figure out. I arranged my sequence in the timeline, and I wanted to have some background music. So I picked up an MP3 (yes, that sounds rookie already... I AM a FCP rookie) file and dragged it onto the timeline, aligning it with the footage.

Problem i that when I render the composition to burn the thing onto DVD, the soundtrack has regular clicks and cracks, and I really can't figure out what I did wrong. Is importing MP3's a BAD THING in FCP5? Did anyone experience this already?

Thanks in advance,

Hugo Pinto
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

try converting it to 48khz aiff or wav
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Conversion

I'll try that this evening and then come back to you..

If it works (and I believe it will) , it'll sound just too weird...

Thanks,

Hugo
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hugo,

I have had similar problems with MP3 files. i always go with AIF. Are you using the HDV format for your sequence or something else? I am encountering audio problems with that format and AIF files.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yap,

Converting to AIF made it work.

Strange thing that the direct-from-mp3 convertion was bumpy...

Thanks

Hugo
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

48khz is where it's at.

Your problem was almost certainatly caused by that fact that what you pulled from iTunes was ripped from a CD - the standard sampling rate for which is 44.1khz.

FCP, however, insists on 48khz AIF files. Happily, the advanced importing options in iTunes allow you to rip at 48khz, and save the tracks as AIFs.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to transform a track already in iTunes, but if you haven't got the original disc, you can always burn the tracks you want to an audible CD, then re import. at 48khz. I've done this with minimal loss to the audio quality.

Hope this helps.
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 03:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bowles
As far as I know, there isn't a way to transform a track already in iTunes...
If you right/control click on a track in iTunes you'll see a "convert selection to XXX". XXX is whatever your current import settings are. So, for example, if you wanted to convert an existing track to 48k AIFF then you change your iTunes import settings to 48k AIFF the control/right click on the track(s) you want to convert and select the "convert selection to AIFF" option.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #8
Major Player

I had the same problems importing. However, I set my importing preferences under "Preference in iTunes menu" to AIFF encoder and 48.000 kHz. Go to iTuns memnu and pick Prefertence. Then click on Advanced. Choose AIFF encoder in 'Import Using" and in "Settings" pick 48.000 kHz. Then whenever yoiu download or import audio or conmvert an existing file it will convert and import it to AIFF/48kHz. No problems since then.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite