DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 29th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best 720p60 option for Canon 7D files?

When I purchased a new MBP two months ago, I picked up a copy of FCE since I was intending to capture some HD video. I had oppty to get a 7D and took that as well, being particularly interested in the 720p60 mode (I am working on music education videos, and not as concerned about "filmic" looks - I want the detail, slow mo, etc from high frame rate).

With all the HD logos all over the product website, I assumed that if it did 1080 and 720 then I was good. I've since learned that I don't have a 720p60 sequence timeline available in FCE. No one else's fault on that, so I used MPEG Streamclip to make everything 720p30 to drop into FCE for my first project.

It appears there is no upgrade path for FCE to FCP - pay the full $1000 on top of what I spent for FCE. At some level, the price is the price and that's that. On the other hand, is there a workaround for FCE? Other than the timeline, I am not bumping into its limitations. If the choice is FCP for $1000, what else should I look at?

It seems that I could buy the Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production bundle, get Photoshop (which I also need to buy), After Effects, Premiere, etc. for about the price of FCP + Photoshop....

Any thoughts?

Will shoot 720p30 or 1080p30 until I get this sorted, but was hoping for fast frame rate and great slo mo for demontrating complex (and fast) movements of advanced musicians.

Thanks for any insight,

Nathanael
Nathanael Iversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

For the type of work you're doing and the fact that you said you need PS you'd be far better off with Production Premium CS4. Not to mention you'll be ahead of the curve when compared to the FC suite of apps as they currently are.

Before dropping cash for anything do more research here on the forum; there's a category specifically setup for the 7D and D-SLR editing; you should converse with these people and read what they're sharing since they're all on the bleeding-edge of what's possible and available.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite