DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Green halo around frame after compression? Need help have to deliver video today! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/468789-green-halo-around-frame-after-compression-need-help-have-deliver-video-today.html)

J. Chris Moore December 2nd, 2009 11:26 AM

Green halo around frame after compression? Need help have to deliver video today!

As noted in the thread title, I am ending up with a soft green halo (lack of better term) all the way around my frame after sending it to compressor. It doesn't show up in FCP when editing only after it's been compressed. Anyone ran into this?

I'm still very new to FCP, using lynda.com to learn the software. Any help would be great because I'd need to get this disk in the hand of the client today. Thanks.

Chris

Geoffrey Cox December 6th, 2009 05:12 AM

I had this but only if I used the de-interlacing option in Frame controls in Compressor. I tried converting the same file on a different computer and problem went away leaving me none the wiser. I think it is a Compressor issue though and nothing to do with FCP.

Andy Shipsides December 6th, 2009 09:04 AM

Try exporting to ProRes directly out of FCP (export w/ quicktime conversion) before compressing with compressor. Sometimes compressor can create issues when going directly out of FCP.

J. Chris Moore December 8th, 2009 12:06 PM

Thanks guys, but let me ask a questions that will reveal my newbie status. How do you export footage out of FCP using prores? Thanks.

Glen Elliott December 9th, 2009 06:35 PM

You know, I feel a bit better know I'm not the only one!!!! I just did a fresh install of Snow Leopard and FCS3 and finished my first edit this afternoon. As soon as I ran my content through compressor I saw the soft green frame around the image (in mine it's around the top, left, and bottom- oddly not on the right).

I tried every variation of settings you could think of (btw, I was exporting XH-A1 24p HDV using a DVD setting) and finally found something that fixes it.....turn OFF frame controls.

In earlier versions of Compressor frame-controls were OFF by default. Now it seems they are ON by default. Typically thats not a problem but apparently it seems to be the culprit for this green haloing.

My biggest concern now is sometimes I like to use high settings on the "Resize Filter" when down converting my HDV to MPG2/DVD for the best possible image quality. I guess I'll have to hold off for now- or at least till Apple acknowledges this issue and fixes it. That is, of course, enough people are having this same issue.

I'd be VERY interested to hear if this solves your problem like it did mine. Subscribing to this thread!

Glen Elliott December 9th, 2009 07:03 PM

Update: Here's a thread about it I found on the Apple Support Forums....
Apple - Support - Discussions - Green line on left side of HDV-to-DVD ...

J. Chris Moore December 14th, 2009 10:33 AM

So is the consensus that there is no fix but simply workarounds? This seems strange to me. I don't know if this matters but I too am using a XH-A1, I doubt that is part of the problem but it is a constant between Glen and I. Maybe some of you guys that are smarter than me have an answer.

Robert Lane December 14th, 2009 11:57 AM

This won't get resolved unless Apple gets directly involved. One of you guys having this issue should submit a trouble ticket to Apple Pro support; it's free with a new install of FCP7 and make Apple fix the problem.

Once Apple identifies the issue then you can relate what the "fix" is.

Glen Elliott December 14th, 2009 03:48 PM

I'll have to explore than avenue- do you know how to submit a trouble ticket off hand?

J. Chris Moore December 24th, 2009 12:24 PM

Glen how do you turn off frame controls? I want to make sure that this will at least bandaid the situation until we see a fix from apple.

btw, has anyone submitted a trouble ticket yet?

Glen Elliott December 24th, 2009 04:44 PM

You'll see a tab for it- click on the video settings and look through the tabs in the inspector. Everything will be grayed out, so you need to click on the little gear icon to the right to allow you to change the drop down box from "ON" to "OFF".

J. Chris Moore January 2nd, 2010 10:59 AM

Turns out my frame control setting was already turned off, so this "fix" didn't work for me. Any other thoughts?

James Miller January 2nd, 2010 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What about if you add some 'source inset cropping' in Compressor. As the output will remain constant what ever you inset the crop at, you will just distort the image if the ratio is out.

See grab:

J. Chris Moore January 8th, 2010 10:05 AM

Thanks for the help!