Odd smoothcam plugin issue/non-issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Odd smoothcam plugin issue/non-issue

Strange problem that took two experienced FCP editors to figure out!

I was recently given an FCP project and all the associated files from another editor. My job was to color grade and fix a couple of noise issues.

The sequence had the smoothcam plugin on several clips which I had never used before and I rendered the timeline to see what I was dealing with. All the clips with smoothcam now had pronounced doubling and blur. I called the other editor and described what I was seeing and the troubleshooting began.

Long story short, smoothcam creates files with the extension .mtdf which are the analysis files. they get stored in the capture scratch folder with the original ingest. My new render files did not connect to the analysis files properly and the blur and doubling happened. We finally confirmed this by deleting all the .mtdf files and letting my computer create the analysis and render files and all is well! I am very impressed with this plugin as an alternative to AE or Motion!
The only reason we could think of for the "broken link" (why his analysis files didn't work on my machine) is the version differences (he uses 6.06 and I'm on 7.01)

Anyone have another idea?
Robert Turchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Haven't been able to get Smoothcam to render out properly with FCP 7 and ended up buying Lock and Load instead. It output what looked like interlaced from 24P..! I'm pretty sure that smoothcam with FCP 7 is an ongoing issue.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

While previewing FCP7 from ADC builds one thing that both myself and other testers noted was that the "engine" or algorithm that actually does the work of the Smoothcam filter has changed.

Unfortunately - and a new trend noticed in many other NLE-based plug-ins both originating and third-party - is that the filter/effect isn't reverse-compatible nor designed to accommodate previous versions and as RT points out the fix is to delete the old renders and let FCP7 handle the new Smoothcam operation.

As with FCP6 the best way to use Smoothcam is to make a stand-alone sub-clip of just the section of the original clip that needs the filter applied. If you send a clip with in's and out's to Smoothcam it still looks at and processes the *entire* clip and ignores the in-out markers you set. This has been one of the biggest complaints of the filter since it's inception and one reason why "Lock and Load" was created to combat the issue and make the workflow more efficient and logical.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for the insight! I'll check out Lock and Load
Robert Turchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #5
Tourist

FCP 7 Smoothcam problems

I'm new to smoothcam filter and tried to apply it to several aerials and other handheld HDV footage. I'm getting 'breathing and jitter' in random portions of the frame. The edges are steady and clean. Still unable to get rid of the problem in spite of trying different settings. I'm shooting PAL 1080 50i. Any advice please.
Ralph Stutchbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #6
Major Player

I had what sounds like the same issue until I found out that smoothcam had to be used before any other filters.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite