blu ray creation on a mac - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 26th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #31
Trustee

I'm burning projects now to Blu-Ray via Compressor and Toast.
This is my work flow.
Render out quicktime for FCP.
Bring asset into Compressor.
Choose Elementary Stream
Choose Audio template of your choice for me this is Dolby Digital 2.0
Set max bit rate to 36 and avg bit rate to about 34.

Render out.
After render you have two files make sure both theses files are the same name with their respective extensions.
Open up Toast:
Set Encoding to:
Video format MPEG-2
Average Bit Rate 26.Mbbs
Max Bit Rate 26Mbps
Motion Estimation: Best
Re-encoding: never
Field Dominance: Automatic
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Choose your simple template:
Burn the BD
Enjoy
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #32
Go Go Godzilla

The reason Steve and I use Encore is because it's a template-free authoring option allow full customization of menu setups and structure. It's not the full-spec BR authoring available in Scenarist or Blu-Print, more like a simplified version of DVDSP Pro but it's a far cry from being shackled to templates.

Steve: I'm following up with Adobe again on the missing library issue. I still don't have my CS4 system back yet and won't until late next month otherwise I'd be crunching away on this myself.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #33
Trustee

Yes I agree with being shackled to templates, Toast and it's templates are well......
I wish Apple would just do something about this, it is now beyond a joke and down right wrong that they wont release a working BD authoring program.
Anyway I wish I had CS4 Encore to makes a BD template as I'm delivering BD content with these silly looking templates but on the up side the footage looks great.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #34
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
I wish Apple would just do something about this, it is now beyond a joke and down right wrong that they wont release a working BD authoring program...
Trust me, you're preaching to the choir with everyone on this forum. The hope is (if not logical conclusion - even for Apple-land) is that now that they've teased with adding BR export that the next iteration of FCS will finally get a full-on BR solution.

But, based on Apple's decisions the past 3 years nobody should be holding their breath on that or any other much-needed/highly anticipated future release.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #35
Go Go Godzilla

Adobe gone silent

About the Encore missing library issue:

My contact at Adobe has gone totally silent; I've heard nothing back about this issue and see no further updates of this problem on their KB articles either.

Until I get my own CS4 system back I can't offer any further help, sadly.
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #36
Major Player

Just today I bought a Pioneer Blu Ray burner. I've had some issue in the past with LG burners so shied away from buying the LG today even though it was cheaper. The only ext case they had was a cheap looking USB 2 and eSata one but it seemed OK.

Anyway get home, try a data burn from Toast 10 and made a coaster. It flashed up a message saying something about inconsistent connection to device. Would this be trying to burn too fast over USB 2 maybe?

It got the Dir structure on the disk but none of the files. Burned a DVD ok though after (4X speed).
??
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #37
Trustee

I used the external LG Blu-Ray (8x) burner in my old job connected with USB and never had any issues. I know that the new Pioneer is 12x. Maybe try telling Toast not to burn at 12x (maximum speed). Maybe if you choose something like 8x or 4x you won't have problems.

But I suspect something else is wrong because Toast usually slows the burn speed down automatically to prevent buffer underruns.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #38
Go Go Godzilla

Encore Missing Library - Issue outstanding

I finally learned why my Adobe contacts had gone silent: They were both working on job offers from other companies and have both moved on. Currently I don't have an inside track into PP/Encore troubleshooting but am working on establishing that new connection.

So unfortunately I still don't have an answer as to the missing library issue with Encore CS4 as my system that has CS4 on on it is still out of state.

However I can tell you that I'm currently on the Beta program for CS5 PP and Encore and while I absolutely can't give you any details I can easily say that if Apple doesn't step up soon and match Adobe's progress... well, it's going to get interesting this year for NLE work on the Mac.

Steve,

If I can find another contact to help with the library issue I'll get back to you on that.
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #39
Trustee

Interesting Robert. In addition, I think there are so many people out there who have BOTH the Final Cut Pro Studio and Adobe CS4 Production Premium (which includes Premiere), it would be very easy to switch from FCP to Premiere Pro. I know, I'm one of those people. I do a lot of work in After Effects and there would be some distinct advantages to switching to Premiere.
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #40
Go Go Godzilla

PP in it's current iteration was already way ahead of FCP7 in several key areas and now with the progress made in CS5 that gap has just gotten much larger. Of course nobody knows when or what Apple will or won't do to be competitive but from my perspective they've got a long way to go to even keep pace, much more to outdo Adobe at this point.

As I say as this year plays out it will be very interesting to see what happens on the Apple side - if anything.
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #41
Major Player

Robert,

What about PP CS4 do you think is far ahead of Final Cut Pro? I have both the CS4 suite
and the Final Cut Studio (3) Suite (the one with Final Cut Pro 7). I find myself using
FCP much more often....although to be fair, it is probably because I have a TON more
plug ins for FCP. But PP is NOT much faster, or more stable or anything like that, in
my use. It DOES offer the option to author blu ray disks through Encore, which is
part of the reason I got CS4. I figured I'd want Photoshop and After Effects, so I might
as well get Encore as well. Although, the way things have worked out is kind of
funny, I found that Motion 4 is one of the best parts of the Final Cut Suite, it's
missing a couple of AE things like expressions (not that I'm any good with those anyways,
too much like programming for my liking) but Motion 4 is real close to AE....with the
big exception that AE has WAY more third party plug ins you can get for it (kind of
like the advantage FCP has over PP in my experience). I've had two clients in the last
month ask for Blu Ray, so I was gearing myself up to go to HD. And then both of them
decided to downgrade back to SD/DVD production as they wanted to save money.
But hey, I CAN burn a Blu Ray, even if no one actually wants me to do it, I've got
the capability now, just don't have anyone that actually wants it. Go figure.
I guess the good side is I can play around with it and be more comfortable when
people DO actually start wanting HD stuff (that will happen right??)
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite