DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Major Player

How to remove grain as a result of gain

I have some footage that was inadvertently shot with the camera's gain turned up higher than it should have. As a result the footage is noisy.

Can you suggest a method to correct this in post, since re-shooting would pose a problem.

I am not familiar with the less-commonly used filters and effects in FC; therefore, please be specific when suggesting a remedy.

Thank you,
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Most people aren't happy with the built-in tools in FCP and instead use plug-ins from either Neat Video, FxFactory Pro or others.

Motion also has some noise-reduction filters but the round-trip process to and from FCP is more work than using a dedicated FCP filter.

It's difficult to make a single recommendation because each filter has it's own "signature" effect and it comes down to personal preference, but overall Neat Video seems to get used most often than the competitors.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I use Neat Video noise reduction - it is very good but not particularly cheap. I didn't regret buying it. It works best if the grain is fairly uniform (very good indeed - virtually perfect) less good the more variation there is but still well worth using in most situations.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You know the old saying, "No gain. No grain". Or was that no pain no gain? :-)

If you have After Effects, it has some nice grain-reduction filters in it that would be worth a try.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite