Final Cut Studio with Matrox MX02 AND MOTU 2408MK3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Final Cut Studio with Matrox MX02 AND MOTU 2408MK3?

Hello -

I have a MacPro tower (2.66 Quad Xeon) (see current system below) which already has MOTU's 2408 MK3 audio device. Currently, all works great with the Final Cut Studio (with Final Cut Pro 7). I'm looking to include a video I/O device so that I may capture video (currently SD with capturing HD in the future) as well as monitor video on a flat screen t.v. It seems that the Matrox MX02 Mini desktop video I/O device will meet my modest video I/O needs nicely.

I just spoke to a representative from VideoGuys (where I plan on purchasing the video I/O device) who mentioned that there might exist a conflict within my MacPro computer between the MOTU 2408 MK3 PCIe card and the Matrox MX02 Mini PCIe card. He was very honest and said that he did not know if a potential conflict would present itself should I get the Matrox MX02.

Here are my questions:

1) Might there be a significant conflict between the Matrox MX02 PCIe card and the MOTU 2408 MK3 card within my MacPro computer?

2) What other solution might exist for my video I/O and monitoring needs should such a known conflict exist?

Here is my current set-up:

MacPro 1,1 (2.66 Quad Xeon)
8 GB 677 MHz RAM
4 Internal HDDs (each 1 TB in size)
2 external HDDs (daisy-chained) via FireWire400 port (for file archiving)
Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MOTU 2408 MK3 PCIe audio device
UAD-1 PCIe card (for frequently used "Universal Audio" audio effects)
Logic Pro Studio (most recent full and updated version)
Final Cut Studio (most recent full and updated version)
Canon GL2 video camera (with plans to purchase a HD video camera with the next 2 years)

Thank you for your time and attention.

Ed Fiebke
Ed Fiebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There's also...

AJA and Blackmagic. Both make PCIe cards that offer everything from HDMI to SDI in and out, and most include all of your analog choices too.
Paul E. Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Trustee

I am using the MXO2 mini but I have a different audio setup (MOTU Traveler) which runs on FW. FC7, Logic, and all my other software seems to have no issue at all. I cannot imagine what conflict there would be with your system although I can't say there won't be. (big help right?) The Traveler might be an option if you confirm a conflict and need a MOTU interface. They are cheap enough and work great!
FYI, SL on a MP 2.66 8-core.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Major Player

First - I sincerely appreciate the thoughtful replies. Thank you. :)

Paul E. Coleman - I'll research the AJA and Blackmagic products that you suggested. It's always nice to have choices when making decisions to buy equipment.

Robert Turchick - Your suggestion is noted. I've been using MOTU audio devices for years. They've served me well. Purchasing MOTU's Traveler was something I was considering for the occasions that I may need such an audio device "for the road".

I spoke to a MOTU representative the other day and he seemed to indicate that there shouldn't be a (driver) conflict between the 2408 MK3 PCIe board and their HDX-SDI PCIe board (which is still another video I/O choice for consideration). (I didn't have the guts to ask him if there could exist some kind of driver conflict between the Matrox MXO2 PCIe and 2408 MK3 PCIe boards. LOL!)

Again, thanks! :)
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Just a quick update.

Decided to purchase the Matrox MX02 Mini (for the Mac Pro). Purchased from VideoGuys, who is a sponsor of this web site. They provided great service for what appears, so far, to be a good product.

And. . . So far, so good! I use the Matrox MX02 to monitor the video (also purchased a new monitor that does 1:1 pixel mapping) and the MOTU 2408 MK3 device for audio. No apparent conflict between the MXO2 PCIe card and the MOTU PCIe card on my MacPro!

Hope that this will be useful information for someone else down the road. :)
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Ed

Which monitor did you buy?
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
Ed

Which monitor did you buy?
Hi Jase Tanner -

Before I answer your simple question, I need to confess my lack of knowledge in pretty much all things video. I'm a "Learn as I Go" kind of person, unfortunately. LOL!

I learned about 1:1 pixel mapping when I was researching the Matrox MXO2. I googled the term, and read about it on Wiki. I read about a dozen different bulletin board threads and posts discussing 1:1 pixel mapping and how it relates to the MXO2. I even read the support bulletin board provided by Matrox, the company that makes the MXO2. And, to be 100% honest, I STILL don't quite understand the concept behind 1:1 pixel mapping. But I am 100% certain that the MXO2 mini device pretty much requires that the monitor have "1:1 pixel mapping capabilities"!!

Now. . . I did a similar minor campaign in researching which would be the BEST freakin' monitor to purchase that handles 1:1 pixel mapping. It seems that such information is difficult to find. Apparently, though, many of the older LCD television monitors do not necessarily incorporate the 1:1 pixel mapping. Instead, they stretch the video source. This is certainly NOT what I want. But it does seem that such companies like "LG" do manufacture LCD television monitors that do incorporate the 1:1 pixel mapping technology.

I do not need nor do not want a regular, consumer-grade television monitor. I certainly don't have the $$$ to purchase a professional-grade television monitor, either. I was willing to settle for a monitor (a computer monitor) that incorporates, hopefully, the 1:1 pixel mapping technology AND that can be connected to the Matrox MXO2 Mini device.

And I found one. Actually, I found many. . . . that can be connected to the Matrox MXO2 Mini device via HDMI input. And, although I could be terribly wrong, it seems that most current computer monitors also have 1:1 pixel mapping.

So, to finally answer your question, I purchased a 24" Dell LCD computer monitor. It is connected to my happy Matrox MXO2 Mini device via the HDMI input. And, it's very, very cool. Is it accurate??? I think that it is, but I am not 100% sure.

Should you trust my post to help guide you in purchasing a monitor? Heck no! LOL! Hopefully my very long and somewhat rambling post will be helpful in assisting you as you further research this subject, though.

Good luck . . . :)

Last edited by Ed Fiebke; January 29th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Ed Fiebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #8
New Boot

Dell monitor

Ed, thank you for very detailed post about Matrox Mini and Dell. I am in the same shoes, trying to set my new system, I did not decided yet to go with laptop or desktop, could you please specify which model you bought. I included spec for one of them ( less expensive model in Canada), is it that one or other model?
Thanks, Radomir
Attached Thumbnails
Final Cut Studio with Matrox MX02 AND MOTU 2408MK3?-dell-spec.tiff  
Radomir Charapich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite