Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Viewer/Canvass Aspect Ratio question???

Hi,
Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I have a question for those that are you using FCP. Im editing a project and something weird happened and I don't know if I may of caused by pressing a button by accident or my program is having a problem.
I am working on a project filmed with a Canon 5D MarkII camera. I compressed the videos to Sony XDcam 1080 30P. The settings for my seq. are set the same way. I brought my footage into the browser and I started working. As I am viewing the footage in the Viewer and/or Canvas it was in 16:9 aspect ratio. Im working and working and focused I went to review some of my edits. As Im looking at my canvass I notice that the footage is being displayed in 4:3 aspect ratio. Same thing in the Viewer. The bars are on the side as opposed to the top.
So what I did was set and in and out point on 3 to 4 clips and rendered it as a QKtime movie and it plays as a 16:9. Is there a way I can change the aspect ratio in the Viewer and Canvas?
Thanks
Tom
Tom Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Major Player

First, try selecting Window > Arrange > Standard and see if that resets your layout/canvas size. If that's not it, then your timeline is matching another format from before.
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey David,
thanks so much that was a quick fix.

Tom
Tom Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Major Player

No problem, Tom. I have no idea where I picked that little trick up. I do that though every time I change my timeline format.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite