DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I made a big mistake...need help

I'm editing a project in Final Cut Pro and I made a major rookie mistake. I was editing a proect 1080p project. I wanted to make some drastic changes on something I was working on so I decided to open a new timeline for a new draft of the sequence. In hindsight I should've just duplicated but instead o I made a new sequence then copy and pasted all the clips. From the there I finished the sequence to my approval. Problem is the timeline has set a lower resolution than all the footage. When I try to change the resolution on the sequence settings all the clips show up extra small in the canvas.

How do I fix this?
Langston Sessoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I assume all the clips have a scale-to-fit assignment on the lower-res timeline?
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Please use search function

A feature in newer versions of FCP, and found under the Modify menu, is Scale to Sequence and Conform to Sequence.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Contributor

Change one of the clips by adjusting the scale and aspect ratio. Select the clip in your timeline, do a copy using Apple "C", select all of the clips in the timeline with Apple "A", and then perform an Apple "V". You should get a dialog which asks you which attributes you want to paste. Choose size and aspect ratio (I'm guessing about what they are called because I'm working with a German FCP).

Be sure to do this on a duplicate of your timeline in case it goes wrong!

Any keyframed motion effects will be lost using this method, but redoing them may be less work than adjusting all of the clips by hand.

I hope that this is of some help,

Cheers,

DK

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Major Player

When I try to change the resolution on the sequence settings all the clips show up extra small in the canvas.

After you have done that, select everything in the timeline and then choose Modify menu > Conform to Sequence (as noted above by Chris)

If you don't have that option in your version of FCP then select everything in the timeline and choose Edit menu > Remove Attributes (or press Cmd-Option-V), tick the Basic Motion and Distort checkboxes (or just Basic Motion if Distort is not available) and then press OK

Should be fine after that, but note that if your edit included any intentional Basic Motion work and/or Distortions then you'll have to redo these after either of the above operations

Hope it helps
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

you guys are awesome. really appreciate it.
Langston Sessoms is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite