DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 12th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #1
Trustee

QTX vs QT 7. (QTX sub standard)

I have a new system and Snow-leopard which I have had for some time but only now starting new projects on it and noticing things that are not the same and just wrong.

Quicktime 10 vs Quicktime 7. What were apple thinking of when they released QT10. I have to say what a joke. Check out the image I put up here. This is SD compressed with a a QT file out of FCP at SD,Pal DV codec.

Now I'm confused here as I use QT like all Apple users in the video game and if rendering out to the new QTX produces this quality I'm worried.

The top image is QT7, the bottom image is the new QTX from Snow leopard.
Attached Thumbnails
QTX vs QT 7. (QTX sub standard)-qt-test.tiff  
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Simon, QT X is not intended as a full replacement for QT7, it is just a Snow Leopard native interim release until the complete capabilities/feature set of QT 7 (and more) is rewritten.

Check your /Applications/Utilities folder and you should find QT7 is in there ... if not then you can install it from your Snow Leopard install disc.

Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Trustee

The thing is though, when you render out to quicktime with SL and FCP7 you dont have a choice with QTX or QT7. SL just renders out to QTX. I have QT7 installed on my system but this is not selectable when making Quicktime renders. I found I have to select the file and get info on file, change to QT7 and make always open with QT7 but this is only for the file I have selected not a global change.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Just replying to my own thread.

I have found a global change to set QT7 as the app for all FCP documents. It's in the get info page, right click the file, get info, open with, select app, change all.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite