DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM HD Proxies in FCP 7

I've been poking around looking for the answer to this but haven't found a clear one yet. I have a client who wants to send me xdcam HD proxies, which I can work with and then conform to the original HD material when she returns. Is it possible/easy to conform the proxies in FCP?

Thanks in advance...
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Is it possible/easy to conform the proxies in FCP?
Possible, yes. Easy, depends on your budget.

VideoToolShed - XDcamExtract for FCP
VideoToolShed - XDcam proxy / HQ audio extractor
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I see ... thanks for the info. This is the first time I've ever actually needed to use proxies at all, and probably will be the last unless this project repeats next year. So $400 that my producer would not want to repay me for seems like an unwise investment, as long as I can get the job done by other means.

I was actually hoping Sony and Apple had gotten their act together on this since 3 or 4 years ago when I bought my xdcam HD camera.
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Major Player

John, if you use FCP then forget built in proxy workflows. Apple have never shown any interest in pursuing or promoting them, preferring to create and push full resolution workflows instead. If you need a proxy workflow solution then you have commercial third party options such as the one linked, or you can jump through a series of annoying and impractical hoops to roll your own .... or (and here's the better options) you can download Edius or Avid ... use the free trial period to get the job done, get paid and be happy.
Hope it helps
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, as a former happy Liquid user, Avid just sent out an option to buy Media Composer for a very low price. Maybe it's time.
John Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite