DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 10th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

G5 Power Management Question

I don't know exactly what I am doing wrong if anything. I have set my computer to not shut off the hard drive and it does it anyway. I leave my office to go have dinner and shuts down in less than an hour. I even selected for it to never shut down. I have the screens set for every 15 minutes but that's it. I was having trouble with another kind of monitor preventing me from shutting down the computer altogether. Now I seem to be having the opposite. Can somebody please help me with this? Yesterday I lost an hours worth of work because it just shut down and didn't save when I walked away for a half an hour. This crap is getting old very quickly. Who knows what I just lost this time.

Last edited by Cleveland Brown; July 10th, 2005 at 08:39 PM.
Cleveland Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #2
Major Player

May I offer a suggestion?

Save everything you are working on before you leave your computer. That way you are sure it is safe.

Now, as for the drive spinning down, I am not sure why that would cause loss of data. Even if the machine goes to sleep, I know of no reason why data would be lost.

And what kind of monitor are you using? I am very confused here, because I know of no monitor that would cause a computer to shut down. Nor of a monitor that would prevent the shutting down of a computer.

I guess I am just plain puzzled by your entire post. Nothing you are stating makes any sense. Did you set the Energy Saver System Preference to NEVER go to sleep? For both the monitor and the computer?
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #3
Wrangler

Cleveland, Shane,

This issue of monitor preventing shutdown has happened with a friend's G5. He reported that after upgrading to OSX Tiger, that the problem was resolved. I suggest to you, Cleveland, that you get the latest OSX if you haven't done so.

Shane, it is caused by the monitor. Gone are the days when monitors are a one way communication device. The Apple displays also include USB ports which I believe were part of this issue.

Now, as for shutting down the hard drive when told not to, I don't have any answers except to do a search on Apple's web site. They also have a support forum and I have obtained some good info from that forum on weird issues.

good luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Greg,

I did have the monitor preventing shutdown problem and ended up solving that with two new monitors, however now the new ones could be the ones putting it to sleep. These problems are unaceptable and if Apple knows about them, should provide the fixes for free. Especially since my G5 is only a few months old. Anyway I do appreciat the feedback and I'll try to contact Apple. Thanks!

Cleveland

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite