Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #1
New Boot

advice pls

Hi !

I want a new video camera.

I am a non-pro, but really enjoy taking videos and editing since the time when FCP 1.0 came to be and I ventured into this "hobby" back in the days of my Blue&White PowerMac. I just have a really good time. But I am not good, I really do it for fun. Most frequent videos are my sons's sport events (from skiing to soccer to swimming...).

I used a VX2k for quite some time than wanted to start experimenting with HD but at that time there were really few choices, so I decided to get something transitionary waiting for better things. I got a HV20 then and now though I think there are sufficient choices out there for me too, to move on to something better.

What tempts me the most is the new Sony HDR-AX2000 AVCHD but as a light FCP user (far from expert) I am told a GY-HM 100 would make more sense for me, less demanding on the hardware, very well integrated into FCP. Are these overkill ? I do want the best possible picture, the expense however has to be reasonable (not stupid ?!) for me, for what I do. What's better anyway between these two ?

AVCHD seems a bit hard for me - do I need more hardware ? Speed is essential for me not for the reasons why it is for most of you guys, deadlines and stuff, just because it's a hobby and I have limited time I can spend on it. Would that just by itself eliminate this format ?

I own a MBP and a IMac. Yes, unless I felt it would be not smart, I could spend 3k-4k and even upgrade my macs. Just trying to get a sense of things. OR should I just use a non-pro sony camera and save a few grands ?
Giovanni Pietro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite