DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 19th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #1
Tourist

Video Noise plugin

I'm looking for a powerful plugin to remove the noise from a video but preserve details...
I've tried Neat Video (looks great) and CHV Repair collection (too much blur on the details). What do you think about them? Any suggestion?

thanks
Filippo Guerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Major Player

I have 4 or 5 noise/grain removing plug ins, for FCP. Every one of them gave some
degree of 'softness' to the image while removing the grain. I just finished a 3 camera shoot, in which one of the cameras was a 'consumer full auto' type cheapo, that I was
using as a cutaway cam. It of course, gained up, and the shot had a good amount of
grain. I was editing the show yesterday, and was searching through my plug ins. None
of them worked.....and then I demo'd Neat Video. It was like magic it worked so well.
I bought it immediately and I am telling you, it really does the trick. I have not seen
another grain removing plug in that even comes close to doing what Neat Video does.
If you need to remove grain without the picture going to mush, grab it...you will
be glad you did.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I did some research on this a while ago and most replies were for Neat Video and one phrase that stuck out for me was something like "it's as close to a magic plug-in as I've ever seen". I just recently bought my copy after shooting my 7D at ISO 1600-2000 in a dark nightclub - it'll make the footage actually usable instead of entirely not.

Buy Neat Video - you'll like it.
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I'll second the vibe on Neat Video, with the caveat that you better plan for some long render times, as in 15-20x clip length.

It smooths out age wrinkles pretty well too :) -- not on me, on the talent...
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Neat Video is the best I've used out of everything I could find to try.
Cris Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Ditto, Neat Video. The caveat is to RTFM - you should know how to get the best out of the plugin.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Neat Video !

I had to shoot +18 db with my EX-3, it was a stage show, basically in the dark... I used Neat and got a satisfactory result.
I wanted to attach a test I did for a friend, the upload did not work.

I am quite happy with the plugin, however I find the interface a bit strange.

Rendering takes for ever. On my 8-core 3.0 Ghz Mac it takes about 25 hrs for a 1h 15' program, just for fun I tried it on my laptop... after rendering all night it still wanted 30 hours to complete... - so be careful with your deadlines...
Oliver Neubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes. At first I didn't want to believe it but it works. I use a 5D MKII and sometimes I have to push that camera with high ISO and it gets rid of the grain. Amazing and worth every penny.
Tom Marks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite