Need to do clean install. Need to know best way to preserve sequences at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need to do clean install. Need to know best way to preserve sequences

I'm afraid I am at a point with my MBP where I am going to have to reinstall Snow Leopard to get a program back up and running. (Motion actually) My system has other issues but I am figuring this is the best thing to fix everything.

I am approaching a good stopping point with one of my projects but I fear that I am going to have to make some changing to the sequence again this Summer.

My MBP has two internal HDs now. The second is my scratch drive with rendering directories and FCS content folders and libraries.

I am presuming that if I just install FCS on the master drive and set up the the rendering and libraries on the second drive like they were, I will be fine.

I would like to clean up my directory structure on my Scratch drive though...Am I just asking for trouble if I start moving directories around on my scratch.

Also...is the a way or even program that I can use where I can compress the sequence, render files and raw into a DMG where in the future, if I want to go back to the project for some reason, I can just open the file and all the sequences will find the files they way there should and I can jump back into editing without errors....Probably asking too much eh?

bc
Bryan Cady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Major Player

You Can use Media Manager to transfer the entire sequence, and all included media, to an external drive. This will make a new sequence and will definitely do the trick - although you have to be careful to make sure you use media manager properly otherwise it might only copy the media currently on the timeline, not all media currently in the project, or it might delete the media on the drive currently when it's done (which is obviously not what you want to do until you have tested the sequence and media is all good.).
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks...I just went over than on Lynda.com site and it looks like that is exactly what I need.
Bryan Cady is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite