DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Simple audio editing questions in FCP6

Hi,

Couple of simple questions: I often like to work with audio separated from the image clip but I've come up against two issues with this in FCP6. 1) How do you drag a clip from the Browser to the timeline either as audio or video only (not both together as is normal)? Also I find when I do drag a clip to the timeline I have to link the mono audio files rather then them defaulting to this - how can I set the default to linked mono files? 2) In the timeline I often copy (alt) drag audio clips (not linked to their associated video clip) around the sequence but the only option that appears to be available is an insert edit which I generally don't want - I need an overwrite edit; it can be done by alt dragging to the canvas but you have to set the cursor at the correct edit in point first which is an extra step and a bit of a hassle. Is there a way to do this by simply alt dragging the audio in the timeline?

Thanks.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Just went over this in a thread about layering 60 video clips without audio, Seem the way is to just simply lock the audio (or video) track to exclude one or the other.

If I'm working with a lot of video minus audio clips, (or lots of speed change clip etc.) I'll just set up a "working sequence" with the audio locked. Then I'll have all my clips in one tab ready to go.
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the helpful info Chris. Seems like quite a blunt way of doing it though, but perhaps the only way...
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah,
I just recently did a 20 second clip with 64 layered video clip with no audio and was trying to bring in just the video.

Felt it was quite hassle, but the reality was that it took most of a day to create, and maybe only 3-5 minutes to lock the tracks etc. to exclude the audio. So in the scheme of things it probably doesn't deserve a write for a dedicated command as it's only a matter of seconds per edit.
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like an interesting project your working on - 64 layers over 20 seconds - and I thought I was being daringly experimental with 3 or 4! Did FCP hold up OK?
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Major Player

I got a new MP 2.93 quad, because my G5 was taking 5 + seconds just for an added clip to show up in the timeline, and that was only at about layer 16. The new machine really cranked through it till the layers in the 40's. It worked great, but to be honest, I thought it might do a bit better. Then again I am working some of the glitches out of the new system.

I'm upping the ram from 4>8 this week & hope that will help a bit.

I would typically do 5-8 layers with the G5 with no problem, but it would take forever to render. Still getting used to rendering on the new machine and think I'll have time to make some coffee, only to see "less than a minute remaining".

This project is a 30 minute doc for KET (PBS) on frost flowers, and has almost as many minutes of layered clips (4-64) as single.

As to the linked audio files, I'm still new to FC7 (from FC5) but isn't this just a capture setting issue? I've often forgotten to set the audio at capture,and it is a pain to have to do it manually for each clip.
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Major Player

Sounds really interesting Chris - let me know if the doc is ever up on-line. Yes, good point about audio capture. Any thoughts on the timeline copy-drag only allowing insert edit issue?
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry, can't help you there. I always place the playhead where I want it like you said. I'd hoped that someone else would chime in but...
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Cox View Post
2) In the timeline I often copy (alt) drag audio clips (not linked to their associated video clip) around the sequence but the only option that appears to be available is an insert edit which I generally don't want - I need an overwrite edit; it can be done by alt dragging to the canvas but you have to set the cursor at the correct edit in point first which is an extra step and a bit of a hassle. Is there a way to do this by simply alt dragging the audio in the timeline?
Missed this - As you drag a clip to the timeline, there is a FAINT line through the middle of each layer. If you drag ABOVE the line the indicator shows an arrow indicating an INSERT edit; drag it BELOW the line and the indicators shows an OVERWRITE edit.

As well, for what it's worth, the shortcut for Lock All Audio Tracks is Shift - Apple - F5.
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the info Shaun; unfortunately this doesn't work when dragging audio files or video files (linked or otherwise) *within* the timeline - copy (alt drag) only allows an insert edit and moving (drag), an overwrite. I can see the faint line you mention but it doesn't change the edit type depending on whether it is above or below it in this instance.
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Interesting - obviously I never Alt-Drag because I drag clips around this way all the time. What if you double click on the clip in the timeline to load it into the Viewer and then drag the clip down from there, leaving the original iteration (that you "copied from") in place. THAT should work.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:25 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Cox View Post
How do you drag a clip from the Browser to the timeline either as audio or video only (not both together as is normal)?
In the sequence, click the two tabs labeled a1 and a2 at the left of the sequence. They are just to the right of the "mute" speaker icons. Then when you drag a clip from the viewer to the canvas only the video will be moved. Do the reverse if you want just the audio to move to the timeline.
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Eric - I've often wondered what those tabs do! Many thanks for the tip.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite