The effect "Brightness" cannot be rendered with the current graphic card - Options? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 6th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The effect "Brightness" cannot be rendered with the current graphic card - Options?

The actual error reads: The effect "Brightness" cannot be rendered in a sequence of this size with the current graphic card.

I'm on an early 2008 MBP with 2.6 dual core with 4GB of ram running FCS2. It has worked fine up until this point. I've currently got 8 layers of 1080i HV30 footage and I'm trying to brighten one shot that was done outside at night.

I thought the error was just referring to the real time render but when I exported to a Quicktime movie, that part of my 4 minute music video only has video in the top third of the frame and the lower 2/3 is black.

Are there any options to work around this while still brightening the clip? I was hoping to hold off on a new Mac Pro until they give it some kind of update. Is there any external solution I can get (like a Matrox unit) to work around this and will still be useful once I move onto a Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Brad Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

update

Also, I've tried creating a new sequence for the clip and brightening it that way then importing it back into my main sequence but it still says the sequence is too large to handle on my graphics card. That was with only one video track.
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Strange. As a workaround you could try exporting that one clip with the filter applied and then re-importing it to FCP. As opposed to just nesting the sequence.
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #4
New Boot

Another option you could consider, if Erik's recommendation doesn't work - take that clip onto another timeline, send it to Color and see if Color will allow you to adjust the clip, then render and send back to FCP...
Tony Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I tried what Erik recommended over the weekend and no dice, I get the same error. I'll try Color hopefully today and see if it works. Good suggestion. Thanks
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Go into sequence settings then click the Video Processing tab. Change from Render 10-bit YUV to Render in 8-bit YUV.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
Go into sequence settings then click the Video Processing tab. Change from Render 10-bit YUV to Render in 8-bit YUV.
Am I losing any image quality by doing that? Or should this be a "this project only" change?
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Trustee

This may not work in all cases, but I've found that the order that the effects are being applied to the clip matters at times. Try flip-flopping the order of the filters.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Owens View Post
Am I losing any image quality by doing that? Or should this be a "this project only" change?
Chances are eventually you'll output an 8-bit YUV file - DVD or web. So you're not going to loose much. I've never been able to see a difference between 8-bit and 10-bit if it is not acquired that way. The real advantage of 10-bit is more latitude to do color correction. However, you've already captured the material as 8-bit.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite