Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Moves on still images: FCP or AE?

Hi guys,

I am finishing up a project that has a number of pans and zooms (the "Ken Burns" effect if you will) on high res still images. These are all 2-D moves, not 3-D moves. I have created all of these in FCP We are getting ready to finish the film for delivery to a very quality focused broadcaster, and so I'm wondering if I need to recreate all these moves in After Effects instead of in FCP for optimum quality. The project is currently 720p but will be uprezzed to 1080 for delivery, so one advantage of recreating in AE is that we could do all these stills moves at 1080 and then bring them back into project after the uprez. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

FCP can handle moves quite nicely - and easily - however FCP has also been notoriously odd when any filters or effects are applied to stills later. If you're experienced with AE I'd make those sequences in AE and bring them in after the uprez; anything that FCP does with it's built in motion tool does not look good when res is pushed up.
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Major Player

FCP is pisspoor at making feathered pans and zooms. Zooms are OK, but add a move and you'll be looking for another application. There are some plugins which can improve the Ken Burns type effects.

But try Motion instead, it gives you much better bezier handling in the keyframe editor window, compared to AE's unintuitive beziers (although easyease isn't too bad sometimes)
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Robert and Duncan! Will recreate the stills in AE then.

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If I have to do that sort of work, I do it in FCP for timing and scale. Then use Automatic Duck to transfer the project to After Effects where it's rendered.

Sometimes a few adjustments have to be made in AE but keyframing movements in AE is a lot easier to do than in FCP.
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Dean!
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite