Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting WMV - only exports 1/3 the sequence timeline

hey guys,

basically as title states, when exporting to wmv from FCP7 im only able to export a small portion. does FCP use codecs or something from flip4mac, and from reading other post; is the problem that i dont have the flip4mac pro version?

your insight to this predicament would be well appreciated. i have to urgently render out a video for a client who can only view wmv. i've never had to export out to wmv before.

are there other/better ways to do it?

thanks!
Josh Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Does it only export 30 seconds?

That's what you get if you don't buy the pro version of Flip4Mac Studio.

Although I thought it was a gigantic ripoff and I don't like the WMV codec, I did buy the full Studio HD Pro version, because I often have customers asking for it, and I should be able to deliver it to them as an editor (because WMV is one of the formats Powerpoints plays nicest with - Powerpoint is a pain in the ass if it comes to using video).
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

AHHHHHH i see...

are there better programs to do the conversions or exports? or is flip4mac the standard?
Josh Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There's Visual Hub, but I don't know if that exports too WMV, it could be that it will also be limited to 30 seconds. It does export to Flash.

Visual Hub isn't supported anymore, so it's free, but more difficult to find. You should do a search on Google to find it with a trial-removal.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chan View Post
...is flip4mac the standard?
Flip4mac is the standard in a mac workflow.

If you have a windows OS, you can use the freeware Windows Media Encoder 9 from Microsoft, though it doesn't like qt, you'd need to use an intermediate like mpg (ugh).

Lots of people like flip4mac though, local professional editors are using it for just what you need it for.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite