How to export downmix from FCP 6 to Compressor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to export downmix from FCP 6 to Compressor?

Hi everyone,

I've got a project on FCP 6 that has about 4 audio tracks. All of which are mono. In the audio mixer tool, I hit the downmix button and it all goes to stereo.

When I Export out to Quicktime Movie, I get a downmixed version. Perfect.

However, when I export to Compressor so I can create a file for youtube, it doesn't downmix!

What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting in FCP or Compressor that I have to change?

Thank you in advance.
Kareem Dimashkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Are you sending your sequence directly to Compressor? I haven't had much experince downmixing multiple audio tracks, but if your QT export is stereo then opening that in Compressor to convert, instead of sending the sequence, should keep it stereo. Probably there's another way to do it but the above route should work and give you the same quality.
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Tried that, and oddly enough I'm still running into the same problem :-(
Kareem Dimashkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Something isn't right but it's hard to tell what it is. I suggest doing an Export to Quicktime to get a self contained video. Then run it thru Compressor to generate your YouTube version. I usually add a watermark and tweak the gamma in Compressor.

If you you MUST export to Compressor from the TImeline, then create a new Sequence with the same settings as the original. Then drag your original sequence onto the timeline of the new sequence. This is called nested sequences. Try exporting the new sequence using Compressor.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite