Aspect ratio on the web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Aspect ratio on the web

First of all, I'm a point and click person but seem to get by with the weddings and small commercial projects. I'm still using FCP 6.06.

I have a very basic movie that is mostly photos with voice over and music ... 2 minutes long.

I would like to throw it up on my site for the client to preview before the duplication process begins.

I export using QT Conversion and have tried multiple settings. The odd thing is that with the QT player the movie plays in 16:9, but with the Pro version 7 ... everything is in 4:3. I don't understand how they could be different. When I upload the file it's in 4:3.

I have Googled the subject and cannot come up with any anwer that helps. I just want something that will show me in a step-by-step method for getting the 16:9 movie on my site for Broadband High.

If anyone could help I would be deeply grateful.

Thank you -

Scott
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I know what you mean, Scott. I have exactly the same problem, tried to retrieve stills from HDV in FCP, and ended up with 4:3's. I am using the Sony Z7, and by using the photo button on the remote, I end up with 16:9's, the right aspect ratio on the memory stick. But its by far more trouble and very time consuming to get the right frame, shuttling back and forth in slowmo, especially if you have to go through lots of tapes ...
I wonder if someone out there has the answer to that?
Thanks in advance guys,
Cheers,
Gerd
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Major Player

This frustrated me for a while also.

In the inspector in Compressor, there are 6 buttons under the name & description. Click on the 5th button and under dimensions choose your format. I have a setting for youtube that is - custom 16:9 - Width 480 Height 270.

I also make sure that I go to Compressor from a progressive self contained movie, otherwise I usually get terrible interlacing.

MPEG-4 with the frame controls on (3rd button)
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Chris. I'll give it a try. They would like to take a look at it on Monday. I could run the DVD over to them, but this would be much easier.
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Korrow View Post
This frustrated me for a while also.

In the inspector in Compressor, there are 6 buttons under the name & description. Click on the 5th button and under dimensions choose your format. I have a setting for youtube that is - custom 16:9 - Width 480 Height 270.

I also make sure that I go to Compressor from a progressive self contained movie, otherwise I usually get terrible interlacing.

MPEG-4 with the frame controls on (3rd button)
Chris,

I just wanted to get back with you and let you know that this did work for me. Thank you so much for your help.

Scott
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Glad you got it sorted out.

Compressor is a thorn in the heel for lots of people that just rely on the presets.
Hope they are updated in the new version.
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Actually I wasn't even trying to use compressor. I was just trying to export a QT movie using QT Conversion for internet. So while this took a little longer, it accomplished my goal.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite