DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Overwrite Twice?

Does anyone know why when you overwrite in the canvas menu, that it sometimes lays down a double clip?

Also why when dragging a clip or audio clip into the timeline, that it'll sometimes, -sometimes not, split the existing footage like an insert?
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Korrow View Post
Also why when dragging a clip or audio clip into the timeline, that it'll sometimes, -sometimes not, split the existing footage like an insert?
When you drag to the timeline, if you are ABOVE the faint line in the centre of the target track, the tool cursor will turn into a down arrow and you will overwrite - below the line, it will turn into a right arrow and you will insert.
Old July 21st, 2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Shaun,

With 3,000 pages of manuals for FCP & Logic alone, I tend to skip over the "simple" stuff. I'm sure it's something equally simple with why an overwrite in the canvas performs an overwrite & an insert sometimes. An undo takes out the insert, leaving the overwrite in place so it's not a big deal when it happens.

We'll be moving out your way sometime soon (Port Townsend, WA), ever do any underwater stuff?

There is some amazing diving up there and I've plans for a future doc off Vancouver Is. at some point.
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
As much as I like being NEAR or ABOVE the water, I'm not all that big a fan of being IN (and so far never UNDER) the water. Thought about undersea filming once asa way to differentiate myself but decided that one bad seal (the rubber kind) was all it would take to ruin my gear so I chickened out...

If/when you come up, let me know. We'll do dinner. And Dylan Couper (one of the Mods around here) is a good buddy of mine so I'm sure you could pick his brain. It might cost you a scotch but he's pretty well connected.
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Will look forward to it.

I've got hundreds of hours doing underwater photography back in the 80s, (actually went to Brooks Institute back then for an UW class with one of Cousteaus divers). Figured I'd just use my HV30 for the UW stuff, so not too much of a loss if it floods. Though the only time one flooded on me was when someone else closed it up hand handed it to me in the water.

If your not extremely comfortable UW, Filming would be very difficult.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite