DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 29th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help with Compression for DVD

I recently finished a project for a client in final cut and exported as apple prores 422 hq. The footage is standard def. I pulled the file into dvd studio pro and built my dvd but it seems like the footage is pixelating when the dvd is played on the tv. Are there any other ways beside apple prores 422 hq, because I know you cannot use H.264 with dsp. Any ideas?
Brandon Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

not sure if it matters but her is the link to the footage.
YouTube - The Gelato Maker
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

I'll get 'er done this time

Brandon,

For months now I've been promising to post this exact information - optimized Compressor settings for downconverting HD content to DVD-widescreen - and haven't yet done it.

Tonight, I'm finally going to self-motivate and get it done; I'll post a link to the article when it's live on my review site.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Awesome, Thank you sooooo much.
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Done, finally

OK, here's the "best" Compressor settings post that I've been promising for months:

Grumpy Quail: Best Apple Compressor Settings for DVD Widescreen Downconversions

Maybe Chris can make it a sticky for others to find in the future.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

To qualify as a sticky, just post the content directly to the forum instead of an off-site link.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Recently for a client I needed to quickly proof an SD project to DVD with no menus & that would auto-run when inserted into a DVD player & then repeat play. I actually exported as ProRes & dropped it into iDVD using the 'OneShot' option. I was shocked at how good the quality was & how quickly it was created. The devil must have made me do it because on reflection I didn't even know that iDVD would understand what to do with a ProRes file. Subsequently I took the same video & massaged it through Compressor & authored with DVD Studio Pro but could achieve no better results & it took me many times longer than using iDVD.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Recently for a client I needed to quickly proof an SD project to DVD with no menus & that would auto-run when inserted into a DVD player & then repeat play. I actually exported as ProRes & dropped it into iDVD using the 'OneShot' option. I was shocked at how good the quality was & how quickly it was created. The devil must have made me do it because on reflection I didn't even know that iDVD would understand what to do with a ProRes file. Subsequently I took the same video & massaged it through Compressor & authored with DVD Studio Pro but could achieve no better results & it took me many times longer than using iDVD.
I must apologise to anyone looking for the iDVD 'OneShot' option that I mentioned. I have just been searching for it & realised that I had mis-remembered the name & it is in fact the 'OneStep' option which can be done either straight from a camera or from a movie file. To use this function open iMovie & select File>OneStep DVD from Movie. I just tried it with a H.264 MPEG4 file that I had created from FCP project that was edited in ProRes LT. The output file from FCP was encoded off the timeline using the Elgato Turbo.264 HD dongle. Again I was surprised with the excellent picture quality & ease of creation.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite