Broadcast Safe & Countdown at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Broadcast Safe & Countdown

When do you guys apply your Broadcast safe filter, I usually do it at the end to the whole project. Any other preferences For Broadcast safe? Do you even use it? Just on certain clips?

Does FCS have a countdown clock? PBS is going to package for me, but I'd like to do as much as I can beforehand. If not on FC, is there a place to download it for free?
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Trustee

Assuming I am not color grading in color (in which case I would do broadcast safe there) I normally embed my completed sequence in another new sequence and apply the broadcast safe to the new sequence - it's much easier to apply it once than to add it to all clips individually.

For those who are unsure - to add a filter to the new sequence simply highlight the footage in the timeline and hit the ENTER key. Do NOT double click the sequence because that will take you to the original embedded sequence and not the new one. Once you hit the ENTER key it loads the new sequence in to the viewer and you can apply a new filter to it instead of the original embedded sequence. This save a lot of time, but will usually require a re-render of the new sequence to apply the new filter.
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Korrow View Post
Does FCS have a countdown clock? PBS is going to package for me, but I'd like to do as much as I can beforehand. If not on FC, is there a place to download it for free?
Use File / Print to video - in there you can select count downm color bands and audio tones - thought I think this only works when laying off to tape.
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Dave, Much appreciated!

I've only got mini DV capabilities here, I was going to bring them a HD. I'll see what they prefer.
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Read the delivery specs Chris, you need to know what specs your edit needs to adhere too, just applying FCP's Broadcast Safe filter won't guarantee you anything. Other useful tools at this stage include the Levels filter (Image Control) and the RGB Limiter filter (Color Correction). Needless to say, don't forget your audio.

Good luck
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You might just color correct and let "PBS" handle the broadcast safe part. They have much better equipment that adjusts the signal to their preferences. There is really little in a DV signal that's way out of line anyway.

Of course, if they have sent you a spec sheet detailing the specifics of the video, it's best to conform to that.
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Guys,

My last Project went to PBS Nation and had no problems. I used the BCS filter in FC5 and if memory serves, it didn't do the corrections, just showed what was out of the range. Seems like FC7 just takes care of it.

Regardless, I'll email them & see what they want to do.

Andy, when you say audio, are you referring to volume/clipping, or format? as neither of those is an issue.

Just now starting to get a grip on Color. Anyone know what the best tutorial for it is?

Thanks again.
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Trustee

Try subscribing to Lynda.com for a month ($25). This will give you access to ALL their tutorials.
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Dave, Looks like just what I need. Now I just need a relatively quite month to watch the stuff.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite