Quick question about 2 cameras in FCP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #16
Trustee

No need to use ProRes 422 files for DVD. Use ProRes 422 LT and the space requirements are much less.

As an example on one of my recent projects, 109GB of AVCHD (25mb/s) converted to 422GB of ProRes 422 LT. Using the same ratio 750GB of AVCHD will turn in to just under 3TB of ProRes 422 LT.

In terms of editing a 2 hour video in 3 hours - that depends on how rough you want to be with the editing. On average we spend 40-60 hours editing a 90min video ;) A 90 min Hollywood movie can take months.
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I'd like to master in DVD (for distribution) and to BlueRay (to put the masters away for when they become popular in the future).

I'm editing an educational video, it's 2 cameras of a lecturer speaking. I want to cut back and forth more-or-less like a live event, so I should theoretically be able to edit 2 hours in 2 hours, but if I want make it a little more polished (go back and change mis-timed edits, take out coughs, etc.) I figure another hour.

The educational videos that our competition sells are one crappy camera zoomed way out, horrible sound, lit by the room lights in a classroom, and have audience members coughing, moving around, and asking stupid questions. It won't be hard to be vastly better. xD
John Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #18
Inner Circle

With HDV it's about 1 to 3 when you convert to ProRes regular. AVCHD, I'm not sure, but four hours of ProRes footage shouldn't be more than 250gbs. Whoever you talked to got something mixed up. You could edit a simple two hour camera switch in three hours but I would count on four or five. A five minute tune, four camera concert switch takes me about three hours.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #19
Regular Crew

4 hours of AVCHD is about 40 gigs. 4 hours of ProRes is about 400 gigs. These are both at the highest quality settings. So I guess it's more like 10:1.

If you started with a lower quality AVCHD and kept the ProRes high, it could easily be 20:1.
John Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #20
Trustee

Forget using ProRes 422 HQ - it will do nothing for you except take up HDD space and make editing harder on anything but the very fastest computers with good RAID 0 systems attached.

ProRes 422 (regular) is fine. Use ProRes 422 LT is you are at 720p.
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Use ProRes 422 LT is you are at 720p.
So besides being wonderfully smoothe, 720p will save me disk space... Cool.
John Meeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite