Another colour correction / camera match help request! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 26th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Another colour correction / camera match help request!

Hi,

Completely understand if no-one can be bothered with this but I'm struggling to match the following shots from two different cameras (Z1 and A1 respectively). The form a continuity edit so the change is particularly jarring and it's not just the colour but the camera sharpness too so if anyone has knowledge to pass on of matching these 2 cameras or these specific shots I'd be grateful - I have played with the 3-way colour corrector with minor improvement on these shots:
Attached Thumbnails
Another colour correction / camera match help request!-dock-z1-small.jpg   Another colour correction / camera match help request!-dock-a1-small.jpg  

Last edited by Geoffrey Cox; August 26th, 2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: wrong stills uploaded
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Unfortunately, it is not the cameras as much as it is the time of day/lighting. I don't think you can get these to match up with the 3 way CC, but you can get them a bit closer by bringing the blacks down (darker) & whites up on the right clip and pulling out a bit of the blue & cyan, and bringing the whites down and the blacks up (lighter) a bit in the clip on the left. Evening out the contrasts should help to bring your "sharpness" more in line also.

Since your foreground (subject?) is lit also in opposition, - a bit darker in the lighter clip & a bit lighter in the darker clip, You might be able to balance this a bit by applying the 3 Way CC filter again and with the limit effect at the bottom of the CC filter, select the warm tones of the rocks and brighten them up just a bit.

I didn't want to open up FC to play around with these, but I opened them in PS & made the above adjustments, & though it wasn't a complete fix, it did help a lot.

If your not familiar with the limit effect, let me know.

Hope this helps
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the advice Chris. I had a go at what you suggested which prompted me me into a deeper exploration of the 3-way CC and using the limit effect to match specific colours - the blues and whites of the boats, hue of the rocks etc. The water remains problematic as the first shot is a bit overexposed and the general fuzziness of the Z1 compared to the A1 seems insurmountable but all in all it now looks a lot better and good enough - close enough for jazz as they say!

Thanks again.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite